586,357 active members*
3,497 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > cutting oil for 1/4" cold rolled steel?

cutting oil for 1/4" cold rolled steel?

can someone recommend a cutting fluid/oil/lube for cutting through cold rolled steel? i know someone has posted a specific product before but i can't seem to find it. i also need to have some idea of where to buy it, i can't find anything beyond 3in1 oil at lowe's or home depot.

also, how does one cut acme threaded rod to length?
    i have a:
    sawzall,
    jigsaw,
    circular saw,
    10" compound miter saw. i recently bought a 40t carbide tip low kerf metal cutting blade for it but haven't tried to cut anything with it yet -- i'm kind of nervous about the whole thing. i plan to cut my 80/20 extrusion with it. good idea?

thanks!

if you go to the pipe section at home depot they have a pipe thread cutting oil , it's under $10 for a litre , i find it works great for cutting on my lathe , it does stink though but cutting oil usually does anyhow
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Lowes has the Oatey brand 16oz thread cutting oil for $3.77usd in the plumbing area:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...203&lpage=none

I used Brownells Do-Drill to drill holes in the hot roll steel for my second cnc build and it worked really well at low speed and with little or no smoking. I have had a virtually unused gallon of it for many years, but I see now that it has gone up to $89.95 per gallon. I know for a fact that I didn't pay anywhere near that price or I wouldn't have it now.

Dark thread cutting oil has high sulphur content and works best at low cutting speeds.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

In my opinion you should not try to cut your 80/20 with that miter saw, it rotates way too fast and will be extremely dangerous! Better off using the sawzall if you do not have access to a metal cutting bansaw.
    As far as cutting oil, you can use darn near anything but be aware that smoke will be a factor, so open a window or door.

i didn't even think of the plumbing isle! thanks.

of course, none of the employees at those stores did either....

Quote Originally Posted by groomden View Post
    , none of the employees at those stores did either....
    thats because they don't know any further than the isle they patrol , and if they don't have it they believe it doesn't exist professionals eh?
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Even if they know where you can find it, they'll probably get reprimanded for sending the customer over to some other competing business. Especially in times like these.

Automotive stores and hardware stores all carry thread cutting and tapping oils. Tap Magic is one popular brand. Fastenal has the RIGID brand in gallon size for $24.74usd http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...sku=5228-70830

CarveOne
    CarveOne

I cut my acme rods with my sawzall and a metal cutting blade and then cleaned up the cut with a file. It cut like butter. I made a little groove where I wanted to cut with a file before I started cutting so the blade didn't jump around when starting.

I cut my 80/20 with my miter saw and a regular woodworking carbide tooth blade (a Makita). I would recommend clamping both sides of the piece to be cut to the fence to prevent pieces flying around after they're cut off.

I cut my ACME rods with a hacksaw or metal cutting bandsaw and clean up the ends on a 12" disk sander. The carbon steel is not especially hard.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

thanks everyone!

by the way --
    this build-a-cnc thing sure is a money pit.
    love it!

i will start a build log in a day or 2, once the excitement of having new toys settles down a little.

We have J&L Industrial over here which is a US firm so I assume they are based in the USA as well as supplying in the UK. Their mail order service is excellent and they list a whole range of cutting oils, some are in 25 litre drums but it's cheaper in larger quantities. They are now MSC J& L Industrial having been taken over, presumably on your side of the pond. Yellow Pages?

Quote Originally Posted by groomden View Post
    thanks everyone!

by the way --
    this build-a-cnc thing sure is a money pit.
    love it!

if you compare it to a couple hardcore weekends of drinking , its not so bad at least this has something to show for it

I know this is wrong, but sometimes I just use liquid soap as a cutting fluid. (home use) It makes cleaning the parts really easy.

Quote Originally Posted by harryn View Post
    I know this is wrong, but sometimes I just use liquid soap as a cutting fluid. (home use) It makes cleaning the parts really easy.
    What is wrong about that? It works!

Just rubbing ordinary bar soap on works also especially for drilling plastics; retract the drill and hold a bit of soap against as it is running then back into the hole.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.