586,321 active members*
3,803 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X2 leadscrews right or left hand threaded?

X2 leadscrews right or left hand threaded?

just wondering as my machine will be both cnc and manual and I wish to get the same direction screws from Roton. Thanks in advance!

Left hand thread ballscrews will keep the handle rotation the same as manual
    but they cost a little more, especially the nuts.
    You would have to keep the gib locks snug or the tools will be pulled into the part.
    It's much easier to just use the cnc for "manual" milling with either jog buttons, MPG or MDI and save money on right hand screws.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

hey thanks hoss! Im a stickler for wanting to use my mill in manual mode by turning the wheels. Call me crazy but I ordered 2 LH roton ballscrews for x and y and a LH for z as I could care less about that. I have my mill, accessories, dro, g540, pwr supply, 3 steppers, love joy couplers, ballscrews and nuts and im up to around $2000 :x I havent even made chips yet! This machine should be everything ive wanted when its done!

I am looking for a cheap 1:1 gear and pulley setup to locate the x axis under the table and out of the way of the handle. Any part numbers from SPD SI that you wanna throw my way? :P I bought my ballnut stop blocks from you if that helps hahaha

Everyone,
    Wow, I actually cut some material yesterday and with good results. I used a dremel tool with a hardware store a Roto-Zip bit. The only complaint I have is, why is my table travel soooo slow ? It looks as if my steppers rotate at about 40 RPM can this be changed ? I understand I can purchase a Max Motion system which will convert my parrallel port control system to a serial one but I still need to use my drivers ? Is this true ? How do you start a new topic ?

Quote Originally Posted by idtkid View Post
    just wondering as my machine will be both cnc and manual and I wish to get the same direction screws from Roton. Thanks in advance!
    Mini Mill Y Axis stock Acme screw is LEFT hand thread. X axis stock Acme screw is RIGHT hand thread.

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by profwalsh@hotma View Post
    Everyone,
    Wow, I actually cut some material yesterday and with good results. I used a dremel tool with a hardware store a Roto-Zip bit. The only complaint I have is, why is my table travel soooo slow ? It looks as if my steppers rotate at about 40 RPM can this be changed ? I understand I can purchase a Max Motion system which will convert my parrallel port control system to a serial one but I still need to use my drivers ? Is this true ? How do you start a new topic ?
    Hi profwalsh@hotma. Welcome to the Zone!

Yes, it would be a good idea to start your own topic. Here's how:

Copy and paste these directions into an email so you can take them with you.

First decide what forum you want to post in. This one is Benchtop machines. Up at the top left of this page click on home page. On the home page, there will be a menu to the left. Click on Forums.

Find the forum that most closely resembles your subject. Click on that forum and then scroll down below the advertising. You will see on the left: NEW THREAD. Click on that and you will find a nice big sheet of electronic paper to type on.

CR.

Thanks CR, after comparing it to a standard bolt the Y axis is the only LH leadscrew. Is this the same on all mills?

Quote Originally Posted by idtkid View Post
    Thanks CR, after comparing it to a standard bolt the Y axis is the only LH leadscrew. Is this the same on all mills?
    NO! Different mills do things differently--Even from the same company. For example, The X2 and X3 are both made by Sieg. The X3 has right hand threads on all 3 Axes.

CR.

Thats so weird because turning the handles to the right, clockwise pushes the bed away (or pulls the quill forward as machinists say?). Interesting. So for the Y axis I need a LH screw and LH nut, and for X I need a RH screw and RH nut, or are the nuts goofy as well?

Ball screw nuts match the "handedness" of the screws. Once you have ball screws, no matter what you believe now, you won't be turning handles to machine parts.

There are two persistent Newbie misconceptions in CNC:

1. Get the biggest motors you can.
    2. Keep manual control.

Neither one works out very well. Wait til you see how unbalanced that handle is when it's whipping around in a rapid--Or God forbid: Wait till that whipping handle hits YOU!

CR.

We get 75IPM rapids on our bridgeport at my old college and ive gotten junked by them before :P I just think its goofy that in order to drill a hole youd have to power up the computer, open up mach, jog the axis and plunge. When a small piece needs .01" surfaced or a hole needs slightly opened up I think a manual machine would be ideal. Not to argue, just my reasons for doing a manual/CNC mill. I really appreciate the correction on the direction of threads for the leadscrews!

Okay, maybe you'll be the exception that proves the rule.

Keep us posted on your progress.

CR.