586,069 active members*
3,690 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > Syil Spindle has quit working

Syil Spindle has quit working

Hope to get a response regarding spindle malfunction. I have been using the Syil X3 for over a year and now the spindle would not shut off unless using the reset. Now the spindle won't start in manual or CNC mode. Checked the pins for spindle speed and direction and seems to be OK on the computer side using Mach 3. Any ideas on where to trace the problem? Can a person Hot Wire the spindle motor to make it work for the interim? Any help would be appreciated. Tried calling reps here in Canada, the US and China but I'm probably a little impatient in waiting.

Thanks,
    Marc

Hi Marc!

Make sure the daughter card on the motor control board is pushed in tight. Also check all of the wiring for poorly crimped connectors.

I hope you don't have one of the ones that shorted out the push-button electronics with the Quill DRO and fried a bunch of parts.

CR.

we got your problem from syil canada.
    we are in working it,if possible better take some pic to [email protected]
    thank you.
    Direction,Commitment,Follow through

Checked the connectors and sent serial #

Thanks for your quick responses. Checked connectors and daughter board and all checks out good. Sent the serial number to Xushuo and plan on setting up an auxillary spindle motor for the interim tomorrow if all else fails. Also removed the quill DRO rule as I don't use it and checked for any signs of shorting and nothing found.
    Thanks Again,
    Marc

Hello Marc,
    My SX3 spindle stopped several months ago and I ended up mounting a RotoZip motor to the right side of the Z axis with pretty good results. It works pretty good for plastics, wood and aluminum, but I miss the slower RPM for working with steel etc. Also the original spindle is more rigid and I use it for metal embossing, and drag engraving, but need to make a compound countershaft so I can power up the original spindle with another motor. I hope you are able to get yours working again, and I do miss being able to control the spindle via the program. Good luck and I will be watching this thread to see how you do!

Regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Spindle quit working

That is option B, mounting an motor on the side to drive the spidle shaft, (same as an old Seig). Have had support from Syil in that they have changed out the DRO, Key pad interface and the mother/daughter boards. Got the spindle working but now the axis have all stopped working. Hope to have the Syil rep here on Monday as they are located in Calgary. Hope to get it working again. So tell me, why were you not successful in getting the spindle working as intended?

Thanks for your input,
    Marc

Hi Marc,
    It is a long story. I had problems when I received my SX3 getting the axis to move and then getting the spindle to run and work without problems. The axis ended up being some wires disconnected and found other wire connectors lose throughout. The spindle control circuit board was replaced by Syil America and then I had very good results for almost a year. I was milling some steel forming dies for a brake press job and the spindle just stopped with a 'External E-Stop requested' error. I needed to finish some projects that were in the works so I used the RotoZip motor as a 2nd spindle and found it to be pretty good for plastics and aluminum. I tried to trace the problem down and for a short period I got the spindle working again by re-wiring the E-stop switch, but it then stopped working, and now the display on the front has apparently shorted and no longer functions. The new boards from the X4 are available but I'm not sure I want to pay for them if a lot of X4 users are having problems with the spindle. I don't have the cash not either!
    I would rather put some money into a working alternative, and perhaps have a spindle capable of a wider range of speeds in the process.
    I hope you have good luck getting yours to function properly, but in my case I don't have the $$ to buy the replacement parts so I will probably have ot make something else work.
    Best regards,
    Regards,
    Wes

Back in Business!

We are back up and running. Keith, the Syil rep. here in Calgary made a house call and found a ribbon harness wih a broken wire, 2 other wires that pulled out of their connectors (CR thks), and a few other issues that I thought had checked for but obviously missed. I must say that when Keith told me he never had a machine he couldn't fix, I was skeptical. He made the house call and fixed the problem(s), I am one fortunate owner to live in the same city as the Canadian distributor who is able to follow through. I would buy another Syil based on two things. The wiring/electronics issues are resolved and service. The latter I have. Hope this, in some way get's your issues resolved metalworkz .

Hello Marc,

I am very glad you were able to get your Syil mill back in working order. It does sound like you are fortunate to have the support right there for you. Thanks for posting the final results and what was done to fix yours. I will take a look at the ribbon harness if there is one on mine and see if I can find any breaks.
    I have had great support from the Syil America team myself, but the current 'dead' display on my machine leads me to believe my problems with the Syil spindle may have come to an end. Without the funds to purchase the X4 upgrade I will be forced to find a workable alternative, and have been using a Rotozip to get bye temporarily. I will keep the Rotozip as a secondary spindle for working with wood, delrin etc., and plan on implementing the poormans compound countershaft for the SX3 until I can afford something better. Who knows, maybe my workaround may end up being better than the original spindle? I have made the Gingery metal projects so I can cast needed parts in aluminum if needed. It's just a lot of work.
    It will be more like a manual mill in that speed changes can be made only with the spindle stopped and can't be changed via the program.
    Regards,
    Wes

Hello,
    I have done my poor-man's conversion with a Dayton motor for my SX3. It is not close to the functionality of the BLDC motor, but it is my method for keeping the mill working without the funds to invest in the X4 upgrade etc. Between the rotozip for high speeds and the Dayton for slow RPM machining I have both ends pretty well covered, and I see not problems with the machine pushing the extra weight on the Z axis. Here are some pictures of the 'Frankin' mill .

Regards,
    Wes