Hi,

Just looking for any thoughts or opinions on the kit on this site...would it be suitable for my machines (X2mill and C4 lathe).

http://www.oceancontrols.com.au/moto...ckages_310.htm

I am looking at the first one listed (details as follows);

430 oz-in High Torque CNC Pack
The CNC-010 3 Axis Package includes
3 x Frame 24 MOT-128 Stepper Motors
3 x M542 Microstepping Drivers
2 x SPS407 40VDC Stepper Supply
1 x Parallel Port Interface KTA-205
1 x 12VDC Plug Pack
1 x Wiring Diagram

$1072 Value for $899 (Australian Dollars) Plus 10% GST

The CNC-110 Additional Axis Package includes
1 x Frame 24 MOT-128 Stepper Motor
1 x M542 Microstepping Driver

$228 Value for $219 (Australia Dollars) Plus 10% GST

Therefore 4 Axis (for the mill - to automate rotary table) would total $1118 AUD.

This seems like pretty good value considering it's all there. Being located in Australia means freight and exchange rates for pretty much anything from overseas is a real killer.

The next kit under it (same torque ratings), has a 3 x ND556 Low Noise Sinusoidal Drivers as part of the kit. Can anyone explain to me the real benefit of these drivers over the ones listed in the above kit? I feel the above kit without the Sinusiodal Drivers would be fine for me (it's still going to be far and away better thant what I currently have).

I currently run some home-built boards made from a kit, and though they have served me well on my micro lathe for very small scale production / home hobby use (and a great introduction into CNC), they were really just a throw together experiment, I am gearing up for small scale production with an X2 mill and C4 lathe and would fit the above kit to both, and think I need to go with something a bit more higher spec'd in features (my current boards are only single step for a start), and reliable. I would also upgrade the leadscrews on the machines to ballscrews as finances allow.

This is my first real 'big' purchase of CNC equipment, so any opinions, thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.....