586,103 active members*
3,366 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > New build! Gantry style based on Ahren's parts and 80/20 extrusion

New build! Gantry style based on Ahren's parts and 80/20 extrusion

Hi,

I've finally stopped looking and started putting together a CNC router. I've started a blog here for anyone that wants to watch the build progress/offer advice/heckle:

http://cnc-for-not-free.blogspot.com/

Thanks a bunch,
    Dennis
    :withstupi

It looks like your on your way! Good Luck with the machine and Ill be sure to check up on its progress in the future.

more progress, check it out on the blog.

steel is expensive, at least from Alro! yikes.

more progress, comments/criticisms wanted.
    http://cnc-for-not-free.blogspot.com/

Sorry you bought that router speed control. The one I have is junk. The speed controls built into routers are far superior.

Looks like you are move along. NJ! All that 80/20 goodness. I really like Ahren's bearings. I just wish they were in my poor mans budget I did have a question about them. Is there any adjustment to them? Is there a way to get them to bite down on the flat steel or are they right on the money? I've wondered about that for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by FandZ View Post
    Looks like you are move along. NJ! All that 80/20 goodness. I really like Ahren's bearings. I just wish they were in my poor mans budget I did have a question about them. Is there any adjustment to them? Is there a way to get them to bite down on the flat steel or are they right on the money? I've wondered about that for a while.
    Yes, one of the bearings on each end of the aluminum block is adjustable for the thickness of the required 1/4" thick rail. The two carriages on a given rail are held together by a connecting plate of your own design. The adjustment for the edge to edge rail clearance in your connecting plate can be provided with obround holes at one of the carriages or both carriages.

Ahren's carriages are a bargain considering the amount of material and precision machining that goes into making them. The rails are the larger cost, depending on the width and lengths you need.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Looks nice. I've got a similar setup using Ahren's parts. From experience, I'd recommend greasing or oiling your thrust bearings during assembly. That detail slipped by me.

Looking great, keep up the good work.

Northboy

Groomden,
    Looking great! Looks like you're going to have a solid machine, and I love the dual drive. One note -- if you run out of T-nuts, save yourself some cash and get 5/16 carriage bolts and regular old hex nuts for a lot of your attachments (with the bolt riding upside down in the track). The square shoulder matches the t-slot almost perfectly and serves as an anti-rotation feature. The carriage bolts cost about $0.05 each, as opposed to $0.30 for t-nuts. I'd recommend this to attach your acme nuts. That being said, for some connections, the t-nuts are the only way to go.

Best regards,

Ahren
    www.cncrouterparts.com

Deleted -- repeat post when cnczone went bonkers.

Ahren