586,052 active members*
4,159 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MELDAS 520 M CONTROL

What is the fastest baud rate the MELDAS 520 M CONTROL year 2000 is this control capable of?

I forgot to add is the MELDAS 520 M CONTROL a good control for doing high quality 3d machining?

Thank You

camtd,

Which machine make, model and year is your Meldas 520 installed in? The machine builders use to have different approaches.

If you set parameter #2, Baudrate to 0, you have 19200 Baud.

It dripfeeds and moves quite nicely while running a 900 kB 3-axis test program in TAPE mode. When you dripfeed it the program size cabability is infinite though.

The control itself is capable to run 4-axis. You just have to add the 4th axis hardware and enable it in the parameters.

I have a lot of settings, cable pinouts etc. Send me a PM or find info in my previous posts.

I even dripfeed over LAN (Ethernet) and a SDS= Serial Device Server. 100m distance from PC-to-CNC=No problem!

/Peter

I find if I go over 30 imp in my machine (Supermax) I start losing detail of the contour.

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Viking View Post
    camtd,

Which machine make, model and year is your Meldas 520 installed in? The machine builders use to have different approaches.

If you set parameter #2, Baudrate to 0, you have 19200 Baud.

It dripfeeds and moves quite nicely while running a 900 kB 3-axis test program in TAPE mode. When you dripfeed it the program size cabability is infinite though.

The control itself is capable to run 4-axis. You just have to add the 4th axis hardware and enable it in the parameters.

I have a lot of settings, cable pinouts etc. Send me a PM or find info in my previous posts.

I even dripfeed over LAN (Ethernet) and a SDS= Serial Device Server. 100m distance from PC-to-CNC=No problem!

/Peter

Hi Viking,

I know this is an old thread but I see that you have worked out how to drip-feed the Mitsubishi Meldas controls... I have a VMC with a 520AM control that I want to drip-feed, I'd be very grateful for any information.

I have a PC already connected, I can DNC files to the control at 19200 baud, I just need to know where in the menus I need to go to allow drip-feeding.

thanks

Hi Steve,
    Just a Little friendly hint:
    You should supply much more background info, ideally pictures of your CNC panel, PC screen shots etc..... That way we are much more able to help you.

Anyway, if you can comunicate with the CNC you are almost there.
    Select TAPE mode on the CNC, open a machining program in your DNC program.
    Press "Send to CNC". Go to the CNC panel and hit the green button.
    If you have used the correct post processor for this particular machine it should start running your program.

Hi Viking,

Yeah sorry, I thought I'd wait until I knew that someone (actually, you!) had read this thread before posting info about my machine, since it's an old thread and I thought I might be wasting my time.

I've got a British-made Kryle KVC-5 VMC with a 20 position ATC (chain type with rotating arm to swap tools, its a bit scary to watch with a tool-to-tool time of 1.6sec!) The envelope is 600x500x600 and it has a Mitsubishi 520AM contol. I've been struggling with it for a while since I've had no experience with industrial controls before, but I feel that I'm almost there now- I know how to home it (sounds crazy saying that but it took ages before I could do it!), set up the tool table and do toolchanges with H offsets applied, I've got the PC link sorted out and can up/download files, and I've written a post processor so I can output straight from my CAM software. The only physical cutting I've done is a part that I drew up in CAM, so I know the post works ok.

Thanks for the drip-feed tip, although I'm sure what you suggested is what I tried, but I'll have another go today. I seem to remember it loading the first block then hanging, like it was in single block mode or something. You can probably tell I know hardly anything about these controls- starting from zero knowledge there's quite a steep learning curve!

On the subject of starting from zero, the final piece in the jigsaw that is preventing me from making chips is to do with setting the work origin- on my other cnc machine (a router) I jog to my work origin, zero the DROs, and that sets the G54 or whatever offset I'm on (automatically applying the current tool offset.) On the Mits control I can zero the DROs, and subsequent absolute moves seem to work correctly in relation to the origin I've set, but the coordinates in the work offsets page don't seem to change. And if I do a toolchange, the correct tool offset is applied (so the new tool tip is in the same postion as before) but the DRO now reads the difference in the tool length. Obviously I'm not getting my head around the relationship between the work offsets and the DROs.

I'm using the spindle face as my tool length datum, so all my tool offsets are positive.

Can you explain step-by-step how you set your zero point on a part on your machine?

By the way, I thought about repainting my machine but didn't get round to it.. now I've seen what you did with yours I'm really jealous!