586,052 active members*
4,217 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Variable frequency drive for high speed spindle

Variable frequency drive for high speed spindle

I operate a CNC router table with a high speed spindle. I'm looking to upgrade to a new spindle but need to know if the variable frequency drive I currently have will work with this new spindle.

The new spindle has the following stats: 300Hz, 1kw, 18000RPM.

The frequency drive is made by LS Industrial Systems - Starvert SV008IC5-1F

The info on their website suggests that this particular drive can reach 400HZ, but I'm not sure about the other details, especially whether or not 1kw is too high.

More info is available using this link:

http://eng.lsis.biz/product/product/introduce/ecatalog_viewStream.asp?catalog_id=288&;fileNum=1

Any advice would be welcome.

Looks like you might need to go one model higher, that one is rated at .75kw.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Looks like you might need to go one model higher, that one is rated at .75kw.
    Al.
    Is it not possible that the 0.75KW relates only to how much power the frequency drive needs to run and not it's output. I have looked at a few other makes of frequency drive of a similar size and they do, as far as I can see, have a kw range instead of being only suitable one power rating.

I am extremely surprised to learn how much a pain it is just by getting a slightly more powerful spindle. I mean it doesn't half sound complicated. How easy is it to change the settings on these drives? I've looked at the operating manual for the Starvert drive and it goes on for ever. As someone who has very little knowledge of the electrics on a CNC table, who would be best person to get in to sort this out?

The VFD itself takes very little power to operate, it is the load (motor) that consumes the power, so the VFD has to be capable of supplying that current.
    Most drive will work, out of the box, it is then a question of going through the parameters one at a time as see which ones apply to your motor and requirements and method of control etc.
    If you are not sure, you may find an electrician in your area that may help.
    You may have to ask around to find one that is versed in VFD installation, however.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.