586,102 active members*
3,180 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Best cheap laser for engraving wine glasses

I've gone through many threads where people are looking for laser recommendations, and none of them answer the specific questions I have.

I run a wine shop and am thinking of branching out into providing wine glass (and perhaps wine bottle) engraving as an additional product/service.

From what I can tell, a basic desktop laser with a rotary attachment would work, but for most of them, the price seems prohibitive (i.e. Epilog) for the faily narrow product range I want to offer.

However, since it's pretty specialized application, can anyone suggest a specific less expensive laser (with rotary attachment) that wouldn't need a huge amount of technical know-how to get started.

In addition, I'm located in Canada, so if anyone knows of a good seller/reseller in Canada that could offer support for some of the cheaper Chinese lasers, that would be helpful too.

Thanks!

How about sandcarving instead? You can get into it A LOT CHEAPER and get much better results. If you use photo-resist you would be amazed at the detail you can get. Best of all, it won't cost anywhere near what a suitable laser would run you. A cheap, Chinese laser (cheap=chinese) is just not what you would want, especially if you want true "plug-and-play" and no messing around to get it working.

Sandcarving would entail getting a small cabinet ~$200 at Harbor Freight, either a pressure pot ~$100 at HF or a pencil blaster ~$100 also but really perfect for glass, a compressor ~$500 for a decent one that can keep up with sandcarving, dust collector ~$100 at HF, 180 grit aluminum oxide ~$1.00 per pound (don't use sand or glass beads, they won't work). You'll not want to do this inside your office unless you want a fine coating of dust everywhere, but it's not as messy as you might think. For the photo-resist you need 3M transparency paper, a laser printer and an a means to expose the resist.

All told, you can get all of this for $2,000-$3,000 - way less than a laser.

I love my laser but the results I get from sandcarving is MUCH better!

Gary

Have you considered subbing the work out to a laser owner who can hit the ground running with this project? It would be a lot cheaper in the short run, as well as give you a chance to gauge the market without a large investment. Plenty of owners in CA for you to choose from. I do bottles, glasses, etc., with a rotary, but I'm doing those on a $30k machine...
    Hi-TecDesigns.com -- Automotive Lighting Systems

Or try chemical etching - you will need just cutting plotter to cut mask and some chemical components for etching