586,465 active members*
3,650 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > 3 axis CNC Router - completed senior design project

3 axis CNC Router - completed senior design project

Just thought people at CNC Zone would like to see the router designed and completed last spring for my senior design project at UNC Charlotte. It is a 3-axis CNC Router with a manual Z used for cutting foam and other soft/less dense materials. Motion supplied by ACME threaded rod, brass nuts, and thrust bearings. Power supplied by HobbyCNC 130 oz-in stepper motors controlled by HobbyCNC Pro Chopper Board. G-code is output using Artsoft Lazy-Cam and imported into Mach 3 which is used to control the stepper motors. I am actually hoping to sell the entire project and thought this was the best avenue to do so. If anyone is interested in purchasing the machine or has questions feel free to PM or e-mail me at [email protected] Any reasonable offer will be considered. You can download a detailed parts list and senior project paper which explains the entire process from start to finish.

http://www.zshare.net/download/57355226d09f5712/ - Parts List
    http://www.zshare.net/download/573551966603a22c/ - Design Paper
    Lots of photos in addition to the ones below can be found here: http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z...ign%20Project/

If I could change one part of the design it would be the dremil clamp. When routing denser materials the clamp isn’t sturdy enough causing the tool to dig into the material being cut. All of the aluminum parts were cut out using our waterjet, www.aimsaws.com , and aluminum components machined myself at our shop in Hickory NC and UNC Charlotte Machine Shop. The project was a great learning experience since I have never designed anything this in depth before. A lot of information was absorbed by referring to this website.

Machine Specs:

2’ x 3’ Half Inch Aluminum Base
    ½” Aluminum machine components
    Modern Linear V- Groove Rollers for X and Y axes
    McMaster Carr Track Roller for Y axis
    ¾ - 1 ACME Threaded Rod with Brass Nuts for X, Y, and Z Axes
    Channel UHMW for Z-axis
    Thrust bearings for Y and Z axes
    Hand crank for manual Z-axis
    Hobby CNC Pro Chopper Driver Board Kit
    Hobby CNC 130oz-in Stepper Motors for X and Y axes
    12V @ 12.5A 150W POWERSUPPLY - MPJA
    Artsoft Mach 3 Control Softrware via serial port - FREE
    Artsoft LazyCam Software - FREE

Looks great! I am thinking about doing something similar when the time comes. Did the school pay for the entire build?

There were two different sections of senior design. One section was funded by companies that knew exactly what they wanted the project to be. The other section, one I was in, the students had to pay for the project and/or seek funding. My group was lucky enough to get funding. If you are planning to attempt something similar to this and need some parts I have like the board, power supply, steppers, etc. just PM me and I could sell you mine saving you some money.

What type of companies offered funding for this type of thing?