586,103 active members*
3,318 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > locked up in middle of program

locked up in middle of program

Im having problems with my machine stopping in the middle of programs, no alarms , nothing in the alarm history, nothing. The machine locks up, reset wont work, or any thing else, Only thing to do is power down and power back up. Machine powers up fine, but then stops in the program at random. The machine wont stop with out load on the spindle though, Ive ran the program through with now tool (no load on the spindle) and it runs fine. Doesnt make any parts but runs fine!!?? Ive had Haas techs down twice in 2 weeks, They replaced a couple amps and a 12 v powersource, but that was to correct 104 and 105 alarms. This new problem has no alarms and locks up machine. Has any one out there experienced this??

what is the load parm on the tools set at and what option do you have the machine preform when it gets to that load mabey something to look at
    good luck Mike

The load parameter for the spindle is set at 200% and the load meter reads any were from 95 to 130 when it locks up. But I have been running the same parts for 3 days using the same program running about 130% to 140 % (for about 40 seconds) with out any problems.

No, he meant tool overload. From current commands, page up twice. What does it say in the two columns next to the tool that keeps locking up?

Is it truly random?

In other words if you start the program actually machining the part does it stop at different places in the program or does it always stop at the same place?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

yes, it was truly random, diffirent postion each time, different load readings etc., like i said earlier, I have been running this program for the past 28 parts without any problems. When it stops, it just locks up, no alarm, no alarm in history, nothing. Any way, the Haas Tech came back down today to look at it, he told me he changed the phase on the power source ( not quite sure what he meant by that) and checked to make sure the connections were tight on the new 12v power source the former tech had installed. He said he really couldnt point to any one thing that would have caused this but the machine is now running, with out locking up. Possibly a loose connedtion, but who knows, with no alarm its hard to say. I just hope it stays this way, 5 inserts each time it stopped it the program at around 12.50 an insert adds up fast. I went through atleast 15 inserts due to this problem ( got lucky it didnt take out the cutter body though). On a better note, the haas tech said it would be a courtsey call for his last visit. Thanks for all your advice, but im stiil not sure if i have seen the last of this, but I have ran 2 more parts with good luck so far. Has any one else been through this kind of problem, with no alarm etc.??

I too have been experiencing the same problem on one of our VF-4's in my shop. I know exactly what he is talking about, however have still found the problem. My machine will randomly just stop. It is like you just killed the main breaker the spindle will just coast to a stop. The only way to get it back up is to shut of the main breaker and reboot. I have had this problem with several different programs. Random rpm's and Random spindle loads. I have found no consistancy at all in the conditions that this is happening. My case has been going on for about three months about every 10 to 20 hours this will happen. Have had the haas tech up three diff times with the same results. NOTHING!!!!!!

Have they swapped out the main processor board power supply? We had a GT20 lathe that started randomly rebooting itself and that is what it was; a faulty power supply.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

No we have not takin it that far yet. Our tech was gonna update the software version to see if that might help before that.

"They replaced a couple amps and a 12 v powersource, but that was to correct 104 and 105 alarms. This new problem has no alarms and locks up machine. Has any one out there experienced this??"

I have seen this exact issue, depending on the year of machine, some processor boards require -12VDC, and when you install a new low volt power supply there is no -12vdc pin on the processor plug that comes with the power supply wiring harness. Haas knows this and includes an extra cable that should be used on machines with this style processor board. (Directions are in the Power supply kit and it talks about this extra cable)

I always install the extra cable just to avoid any issues, it doesn't hurt anything to have it on a machine that doesn't need it but without searching the processor revisions you wouldn't for sure know if it needs it or not.