586,076 active members*
3,740 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Viper Servo drives > encoder count recomendation

encoder count recomendation

hi just wondering what brand,type, and line count you recomend for use with the viper 200. i have motors rated at 4500 rpm with 2-1 belts to a 5tpi ballscrew for x and y. the z is 1-1 on the belts with the same 5tpi ballscrew would like to be able to command to .0001 and rapid around 200ipm. i think this is possible with mach 3 and a 4x step muliplier with 1000 line encoders or would 2000 line with 8x step multiplier be better? any info would be apreciated. thanks, John

5tpi*2:1 =10motor turns/In.*2000cts=20,000cts/in.
    20Kcpi*3.3ips(200ipm)=66k cps or 66ksteps/sec

20ksteps/in =0.00005"/step which is half of what you are looking for so using a 500line encoder in quad will give this resolution.

A 1000 line encoder in quad will give 0.000025/step. Which is 40k steps per inch x 3.3ips(200ipm) = 132khz

132/8=16,500khz which is well within mach3's range of output thru the pport

2000 in quad is double that so it would be 32khz which mach3 should run on a good computer or a smooth stepper or other pulse generator.

:withstupiI had to take my shoes off to do the math, so maybe somebody can check it for me.:withstupi

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Talking

thanks totallyrc the math loks good to me. i was more wondering what resolution i would need for a good error following range "window".this a 9 x 49 mill with ballscrews so there shouldn't be excessive inertia. and would i want the same on the z or half the count?:wave:

On my machine I use 500 in quad =2000 oer rev with a 5tpi screw and I can command .0001 jog moves. But since there is .003 backlash in the screw currently, I am content. I have a 500 step following error, which I am going to probably decrease as I get a better handle on the servo tuning

I would use double the encoder count on the z to keep it to same on each axis.if you use 2000 on the X and Y use, use 2000 on the Z to keep it the same.

Mariss of Gecko has switched all of his test equipment to the amt-102/103????? capacitive encoders that you can get from Digi-key and highly recomends them. They also offer adjustable resolution via dip switches on the encoders.
    I am currently using the renco encoders from ebay and they are working well for me at this point.

When I order encoders for the lathe conversion soon, I will give the amt's a try.
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

thanks totallyrc those look like interesting encoders problem is the motors are set up with shaft couplers and self contained drc encoders model 77L-11-A13-635AH of unknown resolution and possibly single ended they also say 6vdc so i dont think they will be useable maybe al knows somthing about them?

Mariss of Gecko has switched all of his test equipment to the amt-102/103????? capacitive encoders that you can get from Digi-key and highly recomends them. They also offer adjustable resolution via dip switches on the encoders.
    Thats a single ended encoder and one of my customers had to add differential line drivers to drive a 10' cable reliably, but they worked ok after that.
    You can't a beat US digital differential encoder though.

thanks larken. if those are single ended do you think i can use the ones already installed or would that 6vdc not work with the viper ? i'll check the number of wires and any other info in a few days if i can the mill is at my brotherinlaws at the end of a really really muddy section line driveway and i don't have a 4wheel drive maybe you've seen north dakota in the news lately it's not a pretty sight. What model from us digital do you use they have quite a few models .thanks again, John

6Volts ?? Its probably 6 volts max, but will run on 5 volts.

BTW, Don't be wiring up those vipers while your standing in 2 feet of water.

Smile

thanks for the reply maybe i'll have to try them there are 10 wire connection screws on them only 5 labeled and only five currently used though. ch A, ch B, ch Z, v+, grd. any way to tell what resolution they are? we are in western nd northwest of bismark 35 miles no river flooding here just 6-10' snow banks yet just got done with another blizzard i think i heard there is another planned for thursday or friday though. 2 more inches to be record snowfall for a winter! it's getting old. :tired:

Whats the model and part# of the encoder ? It woulod be best to run it in differential mode.

hi the model on the encoders for the x & y are : DRC 77L-11-A13-635AH the AH lettters are only on the y. the z has what looks identical but relabeled by tri-onics, the original converters of the mill, i didn't take any numbers off of it though.any help would be appreciated. thanks, John(group)