587,008 active members*
3,560 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Noisy Stepper Motors

Hi all, I am having a problem tuning my stepper motors. When
    I jog any or all 3 they sound nice and smooth. The problem arises when I start a cycle in mach3, the x and y axis make a lot of chattering but still move. It's as if they are not tuned correctly but when I go back and jog them they sound great

What speed are you jogging at compared to the speed the cycle is running under?

Quote Originally Posted by gaffa View Post
    Hi all, I am having a problem tuning my stepper motors. When
    I jog any or all 3 they sound nice and smooth. The problem arises when I start a cycle in mach3, the x and y axis make a lot of chattering but still move. It's as if they are not tuned correctly but when I go back and jog them they sound great
    I experienced the same condition you describe. My table is 5' X 10' I drew a series of lines in my CAD program. The first set I drew 4' long in the Y axis with .5" seperating the lines. then the same thing only 6' long for the X (long) axis. Then in Sheetcam I applied real world cut speeds to the lines. This allowed me to tune the drivers while the machine was actually running a "cut" file. Once I was satisfied at one speed I then changed the speed a bit & & re-run the program, to see if slight speed changes made a big differance in the sound/vibration.

It took a bit of time but I now have my steppers running at a nice smooth hum at all speeds. If you have an axis slaved to another you'll have to make slight changse to 1 then to the other. In my case the A or slaved axis made much more noise than the X & it was really hard to tell which it was till I got one of them quietened down.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Newbie here...just built my first CNC (you can see it here - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77148 ). I just connected the stepper motors...they're fairly quiet in my hand (though I can feel them vibrating as they step about), but when I mount them on the chassis...MY GOD (a noise similar to hammer drilling a wall).

This is probably a different situation to gaffa's ...but I thought I'd ask on the most appropriate titled thread anyway!

Could someone please advise if this excessive noise is because it's a faily budget (read - free) stepper from a very old dot matrix printer?

Is vibration noise a common (majot) problem?

What can I do to cut the noise?!! (is there anything can be done with the Mach 3 settings). I'll probably build an acoustic frame/cover, but I still need to cut the noise significantly before I go that route!