586,060 active members*
4,468 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Question about +5V from pc and running wires

Question about +5V from pc and running wires

How many things can be ran off a single PC hdd connector using only the +5v and the ground?

I need to wire up 3 sets of limit/home switches (each set requiring power from +5v) and also need to run my 3 gecko 320's. Is this too much to wire into a single +5v?

Also, I checked the actual voltage coming from the PC and it checked more around 9v. Is that normal?

My next concern is which wires can I run together? The wires to my motors (power and encoder) are sheilded. The wiring for the limit/home switches is not shielded. I was planning on running the power for the motors with the home/limit switches right up to the machine. Then the encoder wires would be ran seperate. Using the black split wiring loom (is that right?) stuff to hold them together.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB_Design
    How many things can be ran off a single PC hdd connector using only the +5v and the ground?

Also, I checked the actual voltage coming from the PC and it checked more around 9v. Is that normal?
    Check the label on your power supply it may give the current rating for the various voltages & current rating, typically the 5v is rated at 20 to 30 amps.
    Unless you are checking from the wrong place your power supply should be maintaining 5v, NOT 9v.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I would be VERY careful on the amount of power you draw from your PC. it would be wise to have a seperate 5v power supply instead. As for the shielding, you only need to shield the motor wires, spindle power and step/direction wires so that no interference comes into play. This could cause missteps and false triggers.

What is power requirement for the Gecko's? It should say what they need in terms of amps for the 5v line. I assume its under 1 amp per unit.

I use a walwart type power supply for the 5v on my setup, I am not using Gecko's but its the same type of drivers.

Hope that helps some,
    Bob