586,430 active members*
4,208 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angry Laser Auto start

I have finally got my laser engraver (GH40t) to work, well, sort of. Although I finally got the engraver to recognise my laptop printer thanks to the forum (NEC 2200), I cannot get a setting for the laser to start engraving automatically. As far as I can see, I have to keep both buttons pressed while machine is doing job. This is a problem as i don't know exactly when it reaches start point, end point. Plus it's agony on the fingers! Is this nor..,- this can't be normal! I do not get any co-operation/replies from china.
    If this cheapo sytem is working normally, then it's going in the bin!

Err... no, that is not normal.

It sounds like you can manually 'test' fire the laser, so that would imply the interlocks (if your machine has any) are closed and that the signal can get from the driver/logic board to the laser PSU (unless the test fire is wired directly to the PSU).

If that is correct then the problem is more likely software - but I can't be sure without more details. What software are you using? Perhaps you do not have the output set as cut lines.

Zax.

Thank you very much for that zax15uk. The test fire button does work but, as you say it could be wired to PSU or a software issue. I'll have a look into it and let you know what I get. P.S. The engraver came with Newlydraw.
    Once again, thanks for your time and help.
    Grinnabhat

No problem. I checked the wiring on my JSM40 (similar to your GH40t) and the 'test' fire does directly enable the laser PSU, so your problem could be the driver board not sending the laser on signal.

I would suggest checking the wiring between the boards.

Take a look at the Laser_ON photo here http://www.routoutcnc.co.uk/Forum/index.php?topic=17.0

Good luck.

Zax.

Thanks Zax. I have checked my software settings for engraving and they seem to be set for engraving/cutting although i've tried other settings just in case. I do think my problem lies with wiring but do not know how to fix it (I'm not PSU literate). If you or anyone else can help with diagrams or pictures detailing how wiring should be, I would be able to fix it then. All help is greatly appreciated.

Grinnabhat

Grinnabhat,

I agree, it sounds like your driver board or the wiring from it to the laser PSU may be faulty. I will take a closer look at my machine and trace the wiring for you.

On my system the cover interlocks are in series with the laser test switch so if any of those are open you can't 'test fire' either but it is possible since you have a slightly different machine that your test fire overrides the interlocks.

Zax.