587,013 active members*
3,803 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > question about hard turning with ceramic inserts

Question question about hard turning with ceramic inserts

DO YOU USE COOLANT ? OR RUN DRY WITH OUT COOLANT ..? OI am tkaing off arox .015 per pass. surface feed of 300 spindle speed of around 400 rpm .

Run it dry

Run it dry for best results. The coolant will cause thermal shock and weaken your insert.

Yup, dry always. The chip should be red hot, that is when you know you are going fast enough. With that being said, I don't like to overshoot the 'just red' condition too far, as this can shorten tool life unnecessarily. Check that your ceramics are rated to machine the type of material in the condition you are cutting, as a mismatch rapidly leads to tool failure.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

IMO you can easily crank it up. I just turned down a piece of tool steel (not hardend though) 80->20mm. 640rpm, 1.5mm on diameter per pass. I have a load of theses inserts, so wear didnt matter, but i didnt notice any anyway. Just watch out, the chips are razor sharp and burning hot (pretty blue). One landed on my neck causing a nasty nasty burn!

And as already pointed out. Without coolant. You want the temperature to be steady