586,060 active members*
4,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > right Angle Head help

right Angle Head help

OK, this may sound like a dumb question! I need to know what i am doing wrong. I am using a right angle head for like the first time. It looks correct when i run it in master cam Even moves only in x and y, but the code don't look right it is still outputting in the wrong format. I should be drilling in X- but it still post in z-. I got to be missing something. I would love some help

Maybe Its just looks wrong and i need to put the right G code in it to switch it in the machine. This is a Hass Vertical Mill.

Thanks

Did you setup a aggragated head tooling and setup the proper post for this?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by inkydo69 View Post
    OK, this may sound like a dumb question! I need to know what i am doing wrong. I am using a right angle head for like the first time. It looks correct when i run it in master cam Even moves only in x and y, but the code don't look right it is still outputting in the wrong format. I should be drilling in X- but it still post in z-. I got to be missing something. I would love some help

Maybe Its just looks wrong and i need to put the right G code in it to switch it in the machine. This is a Hass Vertical Mill.

Thanks
    Well your first time is never for many of us. I never used one because most shops are too cheap to buy one.

This will be an interesting thread.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by inkydo69 View Post
    Even moves only in x and y, but the code don't look right it is still outputting in the wrong format. I should be drilling in X- but it still post in z-. I got to be missing something
    cadcam is correct, your post must be modified, and the machine have an aggregate head added to it's configuration

With the tool vertical, all interpolation is done in the G17 or XY plane with Z being the 3rd axis, in this plane arcs have I & J values to get their swing
    eg
    G0 X0. Y0. Z0.
    G17 G2 X0. Y-6. I3. J0. F10. ( Semi-circle from top to bottom )
    eg
    G0 X0 Y0. Z0.
    G17 G2 X0. Y-6. Z-1. I3. J0. F10. ( Semi-circle from top to bottom with Z going deeper by 1)

But
    When you machine from the right side, all the interpolation is in the G19 or YZ plane and X is the 3rd axis, arcs have J & K values.
    eg
    G0 X0. Y0. Z0.
    G19 G3 Y0. Z-6. J0. K3. F10. ( Semi-circle from top to bottom )
    eg
    G0 X0. Y0. Z0.
    G19 G3 Y0. Z-6. X-1. J0. K3. F10. ( Semi-circle from top to bottom with X going deeper by 1)

( not sure if the following will work )( it may open it up for some other suggestions )
    You may be able to fudge it by using a ballnose ( WCS = top, cplane=top, tplane=right or something similar and manually modify the output )( you may have to turn off gouge checking in your ops ).

Superman, has hit the correct thoughts to look for. I have done some preaty wild things with them in the past including full 3d work going bake ten years ago on version % of mastercam.

I am going to share a video on this subject, this was put together by a friend from this board named Degmc. this is a very helpful and on this exact subject. this will be much easer then trying to write it in a post.
    Download and extract this a 51 meg file.
    http://www.mastercam-cadcam.com/video.zip
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

You guys are indeed Crafty
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Did you setup a aggragated head tooling and setup the proper post for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    Well your first time is never for many of us. I never used one because most shops are too cheap to buy one.

This will be an interesting thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post
    cadcam is correct, your post must be modified, and the machine have an aggregate head added to it's configuration

With the tool vertical, all interpolation is done in the G17 or XY plane with Z being the 3rd axis, in this plane arcs have I & J values to get their swing
    eg
    G0 X0. Y0. Z0.
    G17 G2 X0. Y-6. I3. J0. F10. ( Semi-circle from top to bottom )
    eg
    G0 X0 Y0. Z0.
    G17 G2 X0. Y-6. Z-1. I3. J0. F10. ( Semi-circle from top to bottom with Z going deeper by 1)

But
    When you machine from the right side, all the interpolation is in the G19 or YZ plane and X is the 3rd axis, arcs have J & K values.
    eg
    G0 X0. Y0. Z0.
    G19 G3 Y0. Z-6. J0. K3. F10. ( Semi-circle from top to bottom )
    eg
    G0 X0. Y0. Z0.
    G19 G3 Y0. Z-6. X-1. J0. K3. F10. ( Semi-circle from top to bottom with X going deeper by 1)

( not sure if the following will work )( it may open it up for some other suggestions )
    You may be able to fudge it by using a ballnose ( WCS = top, cplane=top, tplane=right or something similar and manually modify the output )( you may have to turn off gouge checking in your ops ).
    Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Superman, has hit the correct thoughts to look for. I have done some preaty wild things with them in the past including full 3d work going bake ten years ago on version % of mastercam.

I am going to share a video on this subject, this was put together by a friend from this board named Degmc. this is a very helpful and on this exact subject. this will be much easer then trying to write it in a post.
    Download and extract this a 51 meg file.
    http://www.mastercam-cadcam.com/video.zip
    OK i did change the config and added the aggregate head, but Super hit it on the nose! I had a bad feeling i would need to Change the post. I was wishing I could use the post I had configured for this shop, but looks like I get to do a new one for free this time ><. Oh I did try to fudge it didnt seem to work for me.

If anyone has a hass post with this setup feel free to email me at [email protected] and thanks for the help.

I am going to check out the video its down loading as I type. "Takes years at this shop I am consulting for lol"

Very Nice

Just looked at the video very well done thanks!

Here is a post to go with it. should be for X2 and higher
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cadcam

Here's the original article

Hey cadcam, what days are you going to be at westec? I will be there Monday thru Wednesday

Thanks

Thanks everyone!!!!

Hope I can repay the favor.

Just so you all know worked very well!

Cadcam the post worked very well i will send post a it back when i get time to edit to post for a hass gantry bed mill so everyone has it.

Thanks again!
    Inky