586,080 active members*
3,485 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: welder

welder

I have a older hobart linear 1 welder problem is it 3 phase . I need to find out what phase converter would handle this unit. welder info hobart \GE
    300 amps 32/32 volts Max ocv 54 % duty cycle 100 . volts 230-460. amps 42/21. 3 phase 60 hertz any helps great

Your best bet might be to sell the welder aqnd get a single phase unit. A phase converter of approximately 35-40 HP would be needed to run at full current. You need to use a rotary phase converter as a static converter is not built to handle the stresses a welder puts on the supply. A rotary phase converter would be around $2k. http://www.americanrotary.com/rotary...onverters.html
    You could buy a pretty slick welder for $2k and be able to use it on your normal single phase 230V.

What type of welder is this? MIG, TIG, Stick? You may be able to get away with using a smaller phase converter if you don't use the full output capability of the welder. You could probably also find a cheaper phase converter on ebay, but then again you are probably better off just buying the right welder.

Matt

Do you have a manual with a schematic for this machine? The reason that I am asking is that it may be possible to run the machine on single phase 240V (at about 30% less output).

Some machines look at current on all three phases to detect the loss of a phase, but not all do.

BobH

Quote Originally Posted by popppop View Post
    I have a older hobart linear 1 welder problem is it 3 phase . I need to find out what phase converter would handle this unit. welder info hobart GE
    300 amps 32/32 volts Max ocv 54 % duty cycle 100 . volts 230-460. amps 42/21. 3 phase 60 hertz any helps great
    if you have to, build a phase converter. It can be as simple as salvaging a used 3 phase motor, a switch, and a capacitor. Mine is a little more complicated as I use a push button start and stop, but not difficult to build. If your interested, I have schematics somewhere, otherwise I can just draw one.

Good luck,
    MC

welder

I dont have a book for this welder but on its lid is the elect.schematic

I am not familiar with the Hobart Linear 1. How complex of a machine is it?

Is there any chance that you could take a digital photo of that schematic and post it here? I searched around on the net and did not see a schematic readily available to me. The reason I am asking is that you can usually tell by looking at the schematic if a machine can be run on single phase.

I would not try to run it on a phase converter, the efficiency will be pretty awful, but others may disagree.

BobH

welder pics

got some crappy pics of the wireing and one of the welder
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 288.jpg   Picture 287.jpg   Picture 290.jpg  

I looked at the schematic as closely as I can and I can't read it enough to tell for sure. That does not look like a complete schematic either. I could not see any sign of the voltage control hardware or contactor.

A few of the older MIG machines that I have looked at the schematic for show that the voltage control is done with transformer taps and core adjustments. These are the machines that can usually be run on single phase.

The digging that I did mentioned PC boards in this machine and the "Fine Voltage" control on the front panel makes me suspect that this is not such a simple machine.

Another thing to look for is to see if there is a power input line of the 3 that doesnt go anywhere but the main transformer (other than through the input switch). That one would be the one to leave floating if you tried running it on single phase.

I don't think that this machine can be run on single phase.

Sorry,
    BobH

welder

thanks to all who replyed to this problem. i'm a glutton for punishment so i'll keep at it untill they put me in the nut house. i'll give up dates how its going any other replys would be great.

There is a thread in the usenet group rec.crafts.metalworking that might interest you on this topic. You can get to the Google Groups version from:
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...14dbb743b5623#

I don't know the original poster, but the guy using the name Ignoramous is a long time poster that has done a fair amount of stuff with big old welding machines and is pretty credible.

BobH