586,119 active members*
3,586 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

E-Stop input issues

Hopefully someone can shed some light on the problem that I am experiencing with configuring an E-Stop in Mach-Mill3.

System setup:
    - Sherline Mill
    - Gecko G540 controller
    - Parallel port set to 0x378, EPP
    - Mach3 Version 2.63 (downloaded late last year)

The Gecko G540 has a requirement for an E-Stop connection for it to function correctly, the switch state is reflected on Pin 15 of the parallel port.

I can use the Auto configure option which correctly identifies Pin 15 as being used by the E-Stop switch with Active High.

However I can not get the Mach Mill program out of "External Emergency Stop" regardless of switch position. If I set the Pin state to "Active Low" (green tick in the appropriate column) then I can get the program out of "Emergency Stop" state by pressing the E-Stop switch (self latching) and then hitting the Reset button on the program.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

David Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by David Campbell View Post
    Hopefully someone can shed some light on the problem that I am experiencing with configuring an E-Stop in Mach-Mill3.

System setup:
    - Sherline Mill
    - Gecko G540 controller
    - Parallel port set to 0x378, EPP
    - Mach3 Version 2.63 (downloaded late last year)

The Gecko G540 has a requirement for an E-Stop connection for it to function correctly, the switch state is reflected on Pin 15 of the parallel port.

I can use the Auto configure option which correctly identifies Pin 15 as being used by the E-Stop switch with Active High.

However I can not get the Mach Mill program out of "External Emergency Stop" regardless of switch position. If I set the Pin state to "Active Low" (green tick in the appropriate column) then I can get the program out of "Emergency Stop" state by pressing the E-Stop switch (self latching) and then hitting the Reset button on the program.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

David Campbell
    Verify how the switch is wired.
    The switch should break the connection to trigger an e-stop. The switch should be normlly closed. This way if a wire breaks, the machine will stop as opposed to trying to stop it after a wire break and nothing happens. Safety first.
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALLYRC View Post
    Verify how the switch is wired.
    The switch should break the connection to trigger an e-stop. The switch should be normlly closed. This way if a wire breaks, the machine will stop as opposed to trying to stop it after a wire break and nothing happens. Safety first.
    TOTALLYRC,

The switch is wired as per the Gecko G540 requirements (it doesn't play ball unless you wire an E-Stop correctly). The Gecko G540 is a combined break-out-box and four stepper motor drivers so everything is pre-configured (enable charge pulse detect is switch configurable but that means dealing with Gecko's aluminium oragami).

The E-Stop switch works correctly as far as the G540 is concerned. Mach3 can detect the E-Stop switch when the polarity of the signal is reversed but always thinks the E-Stop is active with the other polarity.

I uninstalled the Mach3 software and re-installed the latest lock-down version and everything is working fine now (I may not have enabled the charge pulse outlet, need to check).

David Campbell