586,094 active members*
3,896 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Software or Mechanical Problem

I am having some issues with a cnc router running Mach3. Lets see if I can explain this properly.
    It all started cutting a circle in a piece of UHMW. When I was done the circle measured out of round by .025 / .03 travelling along X axis.. I started to investigate & was doing searches on the web & here at CNC Zone. I made some adjustments in Mach3 & started doing some tests.

I ended up ataching a 12" digital caliper on my x axis, opened it all the way. I jogged the axis until it started to move the caliper. I thened zeroed the caliper. I went into the MDI screen & zeroed the x axis. I then plunged into the material .125 deep & did a move, lets say 10.000 with a .500 end mill. I checked the travel on the Mach screen & it read 9.9996. I read my caliper & it read 10.000. I then preceded to measure the the cut. It was exactly .025 short or 9.975.

If I cut a square or circle, it is always off that amount on the x axis but dead on with the y axis. I have no significant backlash on any axis, for sure not .025.

I have had help from the manufacturer, Vortech Routers. They have gotten me through a few problems, but this one is still kicking my ass. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW
    I would like to say I love this site, one of the few I visit on a regular basis.

I had this come up on my DIY (Joes) router running Mach. It was easy to work around the Mach issue. I programed the Mach to be tuned at say 10.2" and the resulting cut was to 10" as needed. It's pretty easy. When you are tuning have move the spindle 10.25 but tell Mach it went 10"..

You should know some time later I had a computer problem and had to load everything on a new PC.. I did not have the issue with the new P.C. Doing some research I found there are certain computers (it seems alot of them are IBM) that have this and other "phantom" issues.

How do you like the vortech router? I will be buying one as soon as I have the $$..