586,106 active members*
3,002 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Daewoo/Doosan > Milling using main & sub-spindle

Milling using main & sub-spindle

Hello everybody.
    I'm a newbie here to this forum. I hope somebody can help me with this problem. I using a daewoo/doosan 2000sy 18i fanuc control.
    I'm trying to mill two flats 13" long on a shaft 180 deg of each other. I can't get the sub & main spindle to synchronize a c-axis movement on both spindles. Has any one tryed to do this and can you give me a sample of the program. m204,m205,m206 is for spindle direction when turning, there is nothing in the book about how to program milling using both spindles for support.

I have had the same problem the way we get around it is to unchamp the sub be for we rotate the main spindle (c axis) you may need to call m131 to let the program to run with the sub spindle unclamped

I don't have your machine but I've seen this issue in Swiss and thier usaully is two options and one is before the index to hit two wait codes and index them together and the other is opening the Sub and let the main index and re-clamp. I would try calling Doosan of even Fanuc if you can't resolve this fast.

Thumbs up I'm contacting daewoo

Thanks for your good suggestion, I thought of that already. But, I need the sub spindle to stay clamped because I'm using a aluminum sleeve over the part so I will not damage the part. It is a carbide tipped drill that I am chucking over. If I unchuck, the sleeve might fall inside flute and chuck crooked.

Thanks Again !!!

Interesting question - Not having ever ran a sub spindle before, it appears that you are saying that it is locked (rotation wise) unless an RPM or degree is commanded? So, IOW, it doesn't act like a "live" center and allow the main spindle to set the angle, and only act as a clamp on the other end?

This seems odd to me - I would have thought that you could simply clamp onto your part with the sub, and it would "freewheel" with the main spindle doing the actual commanded rotations.

Or the very least, I would have thought that you could unclamp the sub (by clamp I mean the rotational clamp, not the jaws), rotate the main, re-clamp the main, then the sub, and mill the flat. Alll without opening the jaws...
    Tim

milling sub & main spindle

The way a daewoo/doosan 2000sy works. Is when the machine engages the milling the spindles stop and both go to a hold operation. They are not locked they are in a so called hold position. M89 on the main & M189 on the sub- spindle is the lock command. When prompted with a "C" command angle it only moves the main spindle. "A" command is for sub-spindle. Both do not move at same time.
    I don't know if there is a M-code for synchronizing both. I know there is for transfering part from main to sub and part off with transfer to sub. I just can't find if there is anything on milling using both spindles

I'm so confussed!!!

Sort of makes sense - So when you cancel the milling, does it automatically unclamp the main and sub spindles? OR do you have to do it by command? Again - couldn't you have it in position for the first milling cycle, turn on milling (locking the spindles), mill one side, turn off milling (unlocking the spindles), index the main spindle (provided the sub is passive), then turn on milling in the new position (which locks both spindles again), and mill the second side?

Either way it seems like you should be able to do this since - if I am getting this - you are holding the spindles stationary while you are milling the flats...then indexing and doing the milling on the other side?

I know that I am speaking in theory and you are at the machine...big difference! Let us know what works for you.
    Tim

What i have found is that i can sync the spindles for speed but when i give a C axis command and the sub spindle is also clamped on the part the C axis will try to move but the sub (a axis) will not so I get an overload alarm on the sub because it will not move. just a thought but there is 2 ways to sync a spindle by speed or by phase I wander if by phase is what we need?

Smile

Chucker: you are right, it will over load. That's my problem too.

Wallyl7: When I cancel milling it unlocks both spindles. To position c-axis it has to engage milling. It doesn't make since to me why they would not have some easy way to program it. To me it would be a simple process.

But one thing I'm going to try is position the main spindle using M19 this way the sub spindle is freewheeling. Then like wallyl7 said lock it in when I want to mill, I don't know if that will work or not. I also don't know if M19 works on a 2000sy I know it does on our lynx but it doesn't have milling capability's.
    I will try when I get to work.
    I work second shift, I can picture your faces now!" THAT STINKS LOL, But I only work 4- 10hr days. 3 day weekend all the time!!.( that leaves me more time to enjoy my new boat ) But I do work more I have to come in early some days.
    I will let everybody know how I did it when I get it solved. I have to get these sample drills made, this would be a good contract. We all know how important that is in these times.

M19 will work on our SY and you can give it M19 Snnn (S120 s80) to get to the place you want it I beleve The Snnn is tens of a deg.

in swiss lathes there is an option where you can set your main spindle as a master and your subspindle as a slave. check your manual for that function. this is different than the two spindles synchronizing like in a part transfer operation. with this, milling with both spindle clamped is possible.

Sounds like we are on the right track - Hopefully this will work. I will be interested to see if it does.
    Tim

Refer to section 3.3.3 of the Puma 2000 SY Operator Manual

Section Entitled

Synchronous control & torque skip function

K0.0 1=Synchronized Speed 0=Synchronized Speed And Phase

M203 Sub & Main CW
    M204 Sub & Main CCW
    M205 Sub & Main Stop
    M31 Main Chuck Open Closed Allowed While Rotating
    M131 Sub Chuck Open Closed Allowed While Rotating

This works I'm running now! Sample program below.

N10( MAIN SPINDLE MILL ROUGH SLOT1 );
    G0 G19 G40 G54 G80 G97 G98 M8;
    M90 G28 V0;
    M190;
    G28 U0;
    G30 W0;
    G28 B0;
    M35;
    G28 H0;
    G28 A0;
    M110;
    T0808 ( ENDMILL0625REG4 X-AXIS ROTARY );
    G97 S1004 M33;
    G0 B-6.5;
    M0;
    ;
    G97 S1360 M19;
    G0 Z-3.5;
    M33 S1004;
    M89;
    M189;
    X1.0 Y-0.685;
    G1 X0.15 F20.0;
    Y-0.364 F3.0;
    Z-12.3875 F3.5;
    Y-0.685;
    G0 X3.5;
    Z-3.5;
    M90;
    M190;
    M5;
    G97 S3160 M19;
    M33 S1004;
    M89;
    M189;
    X1.0 Y-0.685;
    G1 X0.15 F20.0;
    Y-0364 F3.0;
    Z-12.3875 F3.5;
    Y-0.685;
    G0 X3.5 M90;
    M190;
    G28 V0;
    G28 U0;
    G30 W0;
    M5;
    M1;
    MAKE SURE IF YOU ARE GOING MACHINE WITH ANOTHER TOOL NOT TO USE G28H0,A0 OR G30H0,A0. YOU HAVE TO USE S----M19 TO POSITION PART.
    AS LONG AS THE TWO PART ARE CHUCKED TOGETHER YOU HAVE TO USE M19 TO ROTATE, IT WILL OVER LOAD SPINDLE AND OR BREAK OR BEND PART!!!

This is odd I didn't think the C2 axis went into servo driven mode unless commanded.

Generally you would just use it in spindle mode with no power to the motor

You can use torque function to move the B-Axis on to the shaft and clamp the sub chuck.

M35, Rev. tool stop, Main spindle = C1, Sub = Spindle
    M135, Rev. tool stop, Sub spindle = C2, Main = Spindle

keep relay may need changed

I suggest you look in the blue book in your electrical cabinet and find keep relay 10 bit 3. if you make bit 3 a 1, this should allow the "inactive" spindle to "freewheel" while the "active" spindle does all the driving.

After confirming that K10.3 is the correct keep relay, turn on your parameter write enable from the offset/settings page. You have to be in MDI to make these changes, so keep this in mind. Make the PWE a 1 and press input. You will get an alarm in regards to the Parameter write being enabled. This can be cleared by holding the Cancel button (CAN) and then pressing Reset.

Press the "System" hard key, then press soft keys, PMC, PMCPRM, KEEPRL, these are the keep relays. Use your arrow on your keypad to cursor to the fourth digit from the right and make it a 1 (1 then Input). Turn your PWE back to a 0, and you should be ready to roll.

THE MAIN IS A FULL -C,,, WHILE THE SUB IS ONLY AN INDEXING,,,YOU MUST DIS-ABLE THE SUB AND USE THE MAIN AS A DRIVER,,,, IN EFFECT THE SUB WILL FREE WHEEL AND BE DRIVEN BY THE MAIN

BAD DOG

Bad Dog,

Do you have a 2000SY with "indexing" sub-spindle? Every one I've ever seen has a full C on both main and sub.

Here's a snippet from the proposal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Puma 2000SY C-axis Main and Sub.jpg  

My bad I had 240 MSB on the Brain!!!!!