586,108 active members*
3,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Tool Probe

Tool Probe

I am wondering has anyone updated there machine to have a tool touch-off probe and a part probe? I am looking at buying this option and am wondering if its all that is says it is. Plus I am wondering if anyone has had any problems with it.

Thanks,
    Eric

Hi!

I've got the tool probe (Renishaw TS27R) on my 2003 VM1 and love it ! It took me some time to actually read the manual and start using it but after a few hours I can't be without it. You'll setup the tools in notime and they're 100% in level. One issue is that I rather wanted to measure the tool length roughly with a measurement tape and put that in the controller, then the Hurco way. With Hurco you'll need to jog about 5-10mm above the probe and set the rapid feed z-position in the controller. However this way it's less possibility you'll enter the wrong value, you'll just confirm the z-level position with one button.

It's a bit work intence to calibrate them with all adjust screws in every direction, but you'll get the hang of it and when it's done is time for a relaxing beer so there is something to look forward to. Don't crash into them afterwards...

I'm ordered a new Hurco VM2 yesterday and definately getting both tool and part probe option with it. Only thing that's confusing is the price level for the probe-kit between Haas and Hurco, seems that Haas have a better deal with Renishaw ?

Good luck!

I've got the TS27R and the OM40 probe and love it. Can't imagine not having it. The only gripe I have is the part probe only sets the G54 offset. If you want multiple fixture offsets you have to probe and write down the positions then enter them into the appropriate offsets. THe TS27 can be configured to probe your tool every tool change to check for breakage & wear and substitute a second tool, it's quick & easy to set up an entire changer full of tools. Setting the probe up didn't take long at all.

I spoke with Hurco about the OM40 and they are supposed to be improving the implementaion with 7.3 version of software sometime before the end of the year. I'd bargin for a free software upgrade as part of the deal.