586,070 active members*
3,487 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Arcs in Z axis

I've been writing my own code for the last several months and have MS Excel setup parametrically. I have the input data (usually just part type, ID code and part length and width) in a few fields on one sheet, calculations on another then the sheet with the actual code on another. That way I can just type in the part info in a few cells then the entire 100 - 600 line program gets updated and ready to copy to the text editor and feed my machine. I'm saying this because a modeling program is out of the question since I can only model one size at a time.

I intend to start making doors using "round-end tenons" which are just like regular tenons but with ends the same radius as my tool that cut the mortise slot. I'll do this with my 90 deg aggregate head with, for example a 3/8" mill tool. I just watched a video on cutting arcs in the X-Y plane and it seems simple enough but as you can imagine I need to do this in the Z axis. Can anyone describe how this is done?

Cheers!

Re: Arcs in Z axis

...the G code for Selected Plane is normally defaulted on Mills is G17 XY and is modal.
    G18 is for XZ (Lathe default)
    G19 is for YZ

how to program Arc Centers and G2/G3 may help to read this from Linux coding.
    https://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode...ml#gcode:g2-g3

Re: Arcs in Z axis

hy heirloomwindows i can help with automation from input to g-code, like to make it faster & better than excel, and however you wish

if you have some idea, or whatever thing to improve, feel free to contact me; i can generate models&codes from custom inputs, etc / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg