586,106 active members*
2,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Buy Software vs Programming servise

Buy Software vs Programming servise

Does anyone have any experience with paying someone to create a program file to make a part versus buying expensive software that will generate the file. A friend of mine has a machine center, but has not purchased any CAM software. We have had a few discussions about the hiring a CNC programmer to generate a program when needed versus buying software. He can manuallly enter G code at the panel, but on complex parts the development time and glitches are killing him. The software he was quoted was over $10,000, than there is the learning curve to get the software to work for you. Has anyone used a sub contractor to generate the code? What is the cost of the contractor?

What kinds of parts is he making? There's a lot of much more affrdable software out there that may work.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Maybe post an RFQ on this site asking for programming services quotes. You just never know what the price will be until you ask. I suspect there are lots of hungry guys out there who will work at an affordable rate.

Now whether it will be handy to do this contracting out, I don't know. Probably sucks if you are in a hurry to modify a program and its late, or a holiday. Kind of puts your power as a shop owner in the hands of someone else, too. Not a good state to be in, IMO.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)