586,108 active members*
3,293 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Casting Metals > Casting round alum. slugs for minilathe

Casting round alum. slugs for minilathe

What's the best way? I've been just poking a hole in sand, and pouring it in, but it leaves a LOT of cleanup to be done. What would happen if I used a steel or alum. tube as the form? Would I even be able to get the slug out? And, be reuseable?

thanks!

Steel will work but what you need to do is cut the tube lengthways so you have two halves then hold them together with hose clamps to pour in the aluminum. This way you can separate the halves to get your aluminum piece out. You have to plug the bottom end of course but you can do this by inserting it in the sand.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Steel will work but what you need to do is cut the tube lengthways so you have two halves then hold them together with hose clamps to pour in the aluminum. This way you can separate the halves to get your aluminum piece out. You have to plug the bottom end of course but you can do this by inserting it in the sand.

You mean completely cutting, so I'd have 2 separate pieces?
    I was thinking just slotting one side, squeezing it closed with vice grips, then releasing it would would allow it to open just a tad, making it easier to get the slug out. But, I'm guessing it would leak out. But like you said, I could still pack it in sand.

The only smooth bore tubing I have, is aluminum. S'pose
    that would work?

The steel pipe I have, all has a raised seam on the inside.

I guess I need to quit thinking, and just TRY it!

Slotting would probably work if it is thin wall tube and easy to squeeze in. To solve the weld problem simply cut along the weld.

Your last comment is halfway correct; keep thinking and try things.

The thinking is a good idea because sometimes trying things can be hazardous so you need to think about what can go wrong.

Hi dmerc,
    I am going to assume you know this but if you go the steel form route, remember to preheat the forms prior to pouring, as any moisture will cause a steam explosion and major damage to you and those around you.

The other option, and I am not sure if you have tried it already, is to use a piece of the tubing to make the hole in the sand. Thsi would be doing a snad casting like any other object. You should be able to sand cast a solid piece of aluminum bar pretty close with out needing a ton of cleanup. You might need to machine .100 off the od to get it completely clean, but I would think not much more. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Slotting would probably work if it is thin wall tube and easy to squeeze in. To solve the weld problem simply cut along the weld.

Your last comment is halfway correct; keep thinking and try things.

The thinking is a good idea because sometimes trying things can be hazardous so you need to think about what can go wrong.
    I tried thin wall alum. tube....one slotted, with hose clamps, the other just left unslit.

The unslit one actually worked better. I partially quenched it, and got the most god-awful sound and vibration. I tossed it, and got the heck away from it! Pushed out pretty easy tho'!! Both ends still have to be cleaned up, but the sides are pretty smooth. Worked great, other than the split second that I thought I was holding a "pipe bomb"

thanks,
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALLYRC View Post
    Hi dmerc,
    I am going to assume you know this but if you go the steel form route, remember to preheat the forms prior to pouring, as any moisture will cause a steam explosion and major damage to you and those around you.

The other option, and I am not sure if you have tried it already, is to use a piece of the tubing to make the hole in the sand. Thsi would be doing a snad casting like any other object. You should be able to sand cast a solid piece of aluminum bar pretty close with out needing a ton of cleanup. You might need to machine .100 off the od to get it completely clean, but I would think not much more. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Mike
    That's how I had been doing it.....just wanted less cleanup. Alum shavings are a pain to clean up....the less, the better!

thanks,

Don

Quote Originally Posted by dmerc View Post
    ..I partially quenched it, and got the most god-awful sound and vibration.....I thought I was holding a "pipe bomb"

thanks,
    Don
    robably not at that stage. I think was is happening is the aluminum inside is shrinking away from the tube so water gets into the gap and is immediately flashed into steam and bursts out. Because things are solid there is not much hazard beyond splashes of hot water.

Don't ever quench if there is still any chance of molten aluminum still there, this can produce splashes of molten aluminum which tingle a bit more than water.

You could do lost foam casting if you can cut round pieces of foam or if you are using green sand, make a pattern with a wooden dowel rod. Put the sprue on one end and the riser on the other. You could use your tube for a pattern, too, just plug the ends.

I use a split piece of 75mmx6mm wall thickness tube with a 5mm slot as a reservoir for pouring....makes nice discs of Al....I plug the slot with a piece of SS plate and twist it off the riser before break out....
    Keith

Why don't you try lost foam casting? We've done this in our lab with good results though we do use an oil bonded sand for the process.