586,123 active members*
3,310 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Table support equipment question(s)

Hi guys, first post from a long time lurker! I am not savvy in terms of CNC Machines, do not own any, have not worked with any, but am interested. My PC skills are ummm – normal I guess. I’m into mucking around with older cars and doing auto related fabrication. I have a reasonably equipped shed and currently work on things on a hobby basis. In the future I intend to get the shed to start paying for itself.

I am about to become an owner of a 5’ x 10’ Dynatorch setup. I have placed a deposit for the table and intend to complete payment/take possession sometime during Jul 09. I have ordered a gantry kit complete with hardware and software and intend to build my own table. I intend to start building the table early 2010.

I have a Miller 2050 for the plasma source currently fitted with a hand piece. I want to run a machine torch. I have priced the applicable machine torch for my Miller at over 1000USD.

I have not selected a PC yet but have been advised that ideally the PC should be fitted with twin communication ports of the RS232 type.

Questions;

Why is the Miller machine torch so expensive? Is it possible to get a cheaper torch and fit the Miller end to it so it fits my machine or would I be making a mistake?

What do I gain using a PC fitted with twin serial RS232 ports over the more common USB type?

Thanks. I’m going to have a few more questions in the future, but at this time – these are the most pressing.

Cheers.

Race.

Unless Dynatorch has changed their system in the last year since i bought mine, you can use usb ports, but you have to purchase 2 high speed adapters and for the life of me i cant remember the names of them, Dynatorch sells them along with everything else, or you can try and find them locally. Originally i bought 2 different adapters locally( cheaper ) but they didnt work, something to do with speed, so i bought them from DTand everything is good. Im not home until may or i would go and look up the adapter names, they may even be listed on DT web site. Dont spend alot of money on a computer, im using my wife old 1 for mine and it works great, i was told it takes more (whatever) to run windows xp than to run the table, i guess you can tell im not much of a computer geek either....lol
    You will love your DT after you go through the learning curves, it was frustrating at first, but now its like 1 of my kids to me.....:wee:

EDD

Quote Originally Posted by race_hemi View Post

I have a Miller 2050 for the plasma source currently fitted with a hand piece. I want to run a machine torch. I have priced the applicable machine torch for my Miller at over 1000USD.

Questions;

Why is the Miller machine torch so expensive? Is it possible to get a cheaper torch and fit the Miller end to it so it fits my machine or would I be making a mistake?

Cheers.

Race.
    Why is the Miller machine torch so expensive? Because it's a MILLER !!!

Is it possible to get a cheaper torch? Get in contact with Jim Colt "jimcolt" here on the Zone. He works for Hypertherm. & can tell you if their torch can be made to direct fit a Miller machine.

Is your Miller machine a HF (High Frequency) start? If so Check with the fine folks at DT & be sure their servo powered table will work ok with your Miller plasma.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Thanks for the reply. The DT distributor here has offered to sell me an ex-lease PC for what I consider is a fair price. The PC comes with the R232 serial ports already fitted and is setup and ready to go. This seems like the easiest way to go given it sounds like there is a need to increase the speed of the USB ports. I’m not a PC geek either, lol! I had to ask our IT guys at work what was the difference between a USB and a R232 serial port and what were the benefits of each etc.

So the Millers are expensive, I didn’t know that. Everything US based is expensive over here. I brought mine second hand and it goes well. Just freaked a little bit when I saw how much a machine torch is worth. I’ll sort something out, there’ll be something local that will fit the bill – I’m sure.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Race.

Please don't take my Miller comment the wrong way. Miller builds quality products. I am just of the opinion that in certain areas, entry level air plasma being one, There are as good if not better solutions out there. Hypertherm for instance (not the cheepest either) builds nothing but plasma machines. Everything quality entry level air plasma to big multiple gas industrial units.

I'd venture to say Hypers machine torch is less expensive because they sell more of them than does Miller. (Cheeper by the dozens sort of thing)

There is nothing wrong with mounting your hand torch to a machine. Lots of people do it that way.

Again I don't know about Miller but Hyper makes a torch lead extention that lengthens the cable to allow their torches to be more flexable & to help keep cost down to the entry level guy. Hypertherm's hand torch & machine torch use exactly the same consumables so there is no difference in cut quality simply because you own a machine torch. You should be able to tap into the hand trigger leads inside the plasma machine cabinet to allow CNC control of the torch firing.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

The Miller torch is manufactured by Hypertherm for Miller. It uses slightly different consumables and has different connectors. You can not swap a Hypertherm torch for a Miller...at least not without doing some hacking and modifying. Miller sets the pricing on their version of the torch.

Jim