586,096 active members*
3,689 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > Metalworking- / Woodworking Tooling / Manual Machining > Best way to mount 1/16 inch ball mill with 3/16 inch shank in router.

Post Best way to mount 1/16 inch ball mill with 3/16 inch shank in router.

I have a couple of projects that require me to use a 1/16 inch ball mill with a 3/16 inch shank in my Porter Cable router. I have 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch collets for the router. Any idea if anyone makes a 3/16 collet for that router?

Alternatively, I could use a 1/16 ball mill with a 1/4 or 3/8 shank. Enco has a couple of suitable ball/end mills, but was looking for a bit more variety.

The 3/16 collet idea would be the best option as this would allow me to use more commonly available (sized) end mills.

If anyone knows of a good source for either a 3/16 inch collet for a Porter Cable router, or a source of end mills and ball mills with 1/4 or 3/8 shanks, please let me know!

I'm open to other ideas too if anyone has a suggestion. The specific task is cutting (pocketing operation) a logo into a wood plank. The logo carving will have some grooves/lines about .0900 inch wide by .1250 inch deep. I considered using a 60 degree V-bit, but don't really like the appearance, I need 90 degree corners in the pockets.

THANKS!

You can get 1/8" collets here, and probably find 1/8" bits.
    http://www.precisebits.com/gateways/ColletsNutsHome.htm
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks!

Sorry, for some reason the forum stopped notifying me of replies. I appreciate the info. I've checked out the site and it looks like that's a good plan of action. THANKS!
    He is more machine now than man.....

I bought one of these ER16 collets for my router.
    You can get any size collet you like.
    http://www.maritool.com/Tool-Holders...duct_info.html

It has a 1/2" shank that fits your 1/2" collet and you have access to all the ER16 sizes.

The ER16 idea would be a good idea too. I could use the extra length it would provide as a side benefit. I bought one of the 1/8" kits from Precise Bits. I'll see how well it works out, but I like the ER16 Collet adapter idea.

I use a collet holder that is 1/2" shank in my router also, but I believe is is a 300da series. If memory serves me correct the collets are less expensive. (I already had collets from a different holder) The er series might have a little better runout but for what i use it for it is plenty close enough. I think I got mine from enco or production tool supply.

Mike

I bought mine to run small bits for cutting pearl, so I was looking for as little runout as possible. If runout is not important you could probably find something cheaper. If it is important, this is the best deal I found on a holder with precision of .0002 or better TIR.
    I can't measure below .001 with my dial indicator, and I can't measure any runout on this holder.

Got the Collet Kit Today

Just received my collet kit from Precise Bits today. So far I'm very happy with the company and service. Very fast shipping and looks well made. Great packaging (except I hate foam peanuts)

I'll give it a test run this morning.

I had planned to get a collet from them as well, but the one for Milwaukee routers is not yet available.
    Let us know how yours works.
    I got some bits from Ron (Precise Bits) this week and I will be trying them out this weekend, I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by cjjonesarmory View Post
    I have a couple of projects that require me to use a 1/16 inch ball mill with a 3/16 inch shank in my Porter Cable router. I have 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inch collets for the router. Any idea if anyone makes a 3/16 collet for that router?

Alternatively, I could use a 1/16 ball mill with a 1/4 or 3/8 shank. Enco has a couple of suitable ball/end mills, but was looking for a bit more variety.

The 3/16 collet idea would be the best option as this would allow me to use more commonly available (sized) end mills.

If anyone knows of a good source for either a 3/16 inch collet for a Porter Cable router, or a source of end mills and ball mills with 1/4 or 3/8 shanks, please let me know!

I'm open to other ideas too if anyone has a suggestion. The specific task is cutting (pocketing operation) a logo into a wood plank. The logo carving will have some grooves/lines about .0900 inch wide by .1250 inch deep. I considered using a 60 degree V-bit, but don't really like the appearance, I need 90 degree corners in the pockets.

THANKS!
    I realize thia post is fairly old but I'll put this out there anyway. These are very nice long reach cutters. http://www.beckwithdecor.com/index_files/Cutters.htm

Mike

3/16 shank and no collet that size

i have made bushings before with a saw cut so a 3/8 collet will collapse and grab a smaller shank tool.

it depends on how cheap the boss is. I have for the mill a 3/4" shank mill extension that uses er16 collet but i only have the 3/8 collet. so i made 1/4 and 3/16 ID / 3/8" OD bushings saw cut 90% through so bushing collapses to grab shank.

Bushing has less that 0.001" ID clearance so it does not take much for it to grab the smaller shank. eccentricity usually measures less than 0.001"

won't be the first or the last time i spend more in labor making a part costing less than $10.