586,069 active members*
3,554 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Event Driven Programming

One of the greatest strengths of Camsoft is that it is written from the ground up as an event driving prgramming language. The simplest example may be: On limit switch activation - stop axis, halt program, light indictaor on operator panel, provide code for recovery. With Camsoft you can do what ever you want.

The Camsoft inputio.fil is an event handler for a virtually unlimted number of events (inputs) and combinations of events. Camsoft's macro.fil can be written as the program objects for these events.

Event driven programming is a complex concept when you can have this many possibilities. I just came accross this tutorial that I thought explains it quite well.

http://eventdrivenpgm.sourceforge.ne...rogramming.pdf

Karl

Mr Karl. I read your article today. I think this is very good. But I do not know how to make it work with Camsoft. I see that Camsoft does event driven programing and I think this is very good. BUt how to use with CamSoft?

Carlo

I would think the only advantage is in response speed, Now with fast scan PLC's, although being sequential logic, the need for speed in machine control is moot.
    The typical scan time of a PLC ladder update can far exceed the pick-up/drop-out time of an average contactor.
    In fact early machine CNC machines used relay logic to control the machine logic side of things.
    IOW, I don't really see any apparent difference between Camsoft and any commercial CNC system, as far as logic programming or in the speed of my DOS program operating a Galil DMC-1000.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Mr Al,

I do not think what Mr Karl said is for speed reason.

I see advantage over other CNC controls I have used. I think the idea is differenent because Camsoft allow me to run many PLC programs at once in my computer. PLC program run logic from top to bottom and start over again. Camsoft idea is like having 10 or 20 PLCs for me. DOS do not do this. Other controls do not do this. I think it is good idea. For me I do not have to plan or trap for IO switch anymore. The IO events I write do not have to be in the right order like a PLC ladder program. If I forget to do something or operator press button when I do not plan him to Camsoft will find the IO event to run my logic for me automatic then go back to waiting.

But I still do not see how to use Mr Karl article. It look to me as turbo pascal or C++ or something.

Happy Easter to your family

Carlo

Hi Carlo, haven't seen you around for a while.

My point is maybe too hard to explain. But I will try.

There is always several ways to program the same tasks with any computer language. We have all been trained to program and think sequentially. Its almost burned in to our brains, or our paradigm. You get in trouble with this route when you have many many separate things to do and then the operator does something you didn't anticipate. You end up going back and writing a patch to fix the issue. Then operator does something else and you write another patch. And so on. The program becomes an unweildy mess. Finally you end up writing traps preventing the operator from doing things that will screw things up. With PLCs, DOS programs, etc. there really is not another way to do it.

Camsoft has more power than most realize. My (very part time)goal for a couple years now has been to write a better operator machine interface than is found on any other CNC machine control. I have a decerning operator (my son) that has used 100s of different machines and can describe what would be really neat. He's also quick to critique what I haven't got right yet. The operator panel relies mostly on input buttons, rotary slectors, and handwheel, less use of keyboard.

Anyway, trying to do this by adding another, and another, etc. feature got to be a real mess. So I started over, tried to think outside the box. I wrote bunches of small program blocks (macros) that stand on their own and just drop through if not needed on this scan. The event handler(inputio) then calls them in any order needed. The result is a more robust interface. its getting hard for the operator to find a way to lock it up or make it have some unanticipated result. And the program is more maintainable for future upgrade.

I didn't know the name for what I was doing till I fell on the mentioned article. it seems to be a similar description.

Karl

Hi Karl T

I to like Camsoft but when you compare it to Softservo which has everything that you are looking for a very easy operator interface & very easy machine intergration & you can change the operator interface if you want to like Camsoft but you would not want to do that as it is almost perfect

You say no other controls do what Camsoft does well Softservo will do what you want
    & a whole lot more for less money Take a look at there web site Softservo can be used with no other hardware between the computer drives & motors I know this is not what you are talking about

Softservo has a Ladder which is eventdriven & very easy to work with
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Hi Karl T
    You say no other controls do what Camsoft does well Softservo will do what you want
    & a whole lot more for less money Take a look at there web site Softservo can be used with no other hardware between the computer drives & motors I know this is not what you are talking about

Softservo has a Ladder which is eventdriven & very easy to work with
    Nice to hear from a satisfied customer on a product I was not aware of. I'd sure like to get my hands on a machine with this control. The devil is in the details. I've spent a good part of my life working with all sorts of machine controls. Do you live anywhere near MN or know of a machine up this way?

The real time XP kernal looks interesting. Is this proprietary to this product? Or can Camsoft, Mach3, and others use it?

From the web site info, the approach looks to be very similar to Centroid's product.

Karl

I see. For me I want the hardware to do the work. I am afaid of the real time kernal in my computer. I see system run the kernal like the mdsi machine that did not work all the time.

Carlo

Carlo Rechi

I have been running the softservo system for 8 years & is more relible than the hardware driven controls

This is nothing like the mdsi system if you could call it that
    Mactec54

Hi Karl T

I used to live in MN but moved 2 years ago to TN I have had there system for around 8 years it's the best system That I have found & I have done most of them Just the F key buttons around the screen ( or a touch screen ) that is all that is needed to do everything you need for the control you can call me if you want I will PM you my phone

It is not like any other controls in any way it is there own all other controls don't come close to what this can do & control as you have seen some of the stuff on there site
    Mactec54