586,036 active members*
4,254 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question bridgeport spindle motor replacement 1phase

bridgeport spindle motor replacement 1phase

does anyone know what motor can be put on this with out buying from bridgeport needs tobe 1phase. any help is always apreciated.

You could take the existing motor down to a motor rewinding shop. They can perhaps repair it, or look up a replacement that will fit.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

You are probably better off getting a phase converter. What are really nice are the VFD's that act as converters, variable speed and single phase input. YOu can also build a rotary converter very cheaply. Never buy a static one, junk

bridgeport 1 phase motor

I also need a single phase motor for a bridgeport style mill. Or where can i buy a phase converter from? How can i make a phase converter?

Thanks
    smallplanes

OEM Motor

A friend of mine asked me to get a replacement for him once for his mill..

The motor was a 3 phase but it didnt matter.. What made it special is that the OEM has the motor manufacturer make modifications to the motors design.
    The only place you will normally find a replacement is the equipment manufacturer.

I do not like having to buy motors from the equipment manufacters because they jack up the price way to far.

Gusher Pumps are famous for this. Try replacing a motor on a Gusher pump. LOL

Are you trying to replace a burned out motor? Or just trying to make a 3 phase machine single phase?
    good luck!

BPT had a single phase motor for its J head (step pulley) but it was very costly. Since this head was phased out a few years ago, I do not know if the single phase motor is even available. I do not remember a single phase motor for the 2J head being available but I will check. If anyone has the maintenance manual, they list replacement parts in a section in the back (including motors). I believe it is possible to find a single phase replacement motor for the old J head. Fife-Pearce has a lot of BPT motors and parts. They may also have one.
    In simple terms, a rotary phase converter is a static phase converter running a 3 phase motor hooked in parallel to your 3 phase BPT motor. I have seen some very reasonably priced on Ebay. A static phse converter is a box that artificially creates a 3rd leg for starting a motor, then it drops out. Needless to say a 3 phase motor does not have the same HP running on single phase as it does running on three.

George W.

Do you think i might could have the motor rewinded for single phase? Do you think i could get a replacment motor for a mill sold by Harbor freight tool that is a single phase motor? I have not got the mill yet i'm thinking of buying it from a friend here in town. I think i can get it at a good price. Thanks for the help.

smallplanes

If you have a 220vac three phase motor right now, and only have single phase, then there is a couple of options, buy a VFD, this gives you the advantage of retaining the superior 3 phase motor and also having variable speed control, or go with a 1ph to 3ph converter, no speed control but you could run other 3ph equipment off it. For practicle purposes 3ph motor cannot be rewound for 1ph.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by smallplanes
    I also need a single phase motor for a bridgeport style mill. Or where can i buy a phase converter from? How can i make a phase converter?
    smallplanes
    This is a recent link where I posted the info from when I made my 3ph converter.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...hase+converter
    Al

Albert E.

What is better a VFD or a rotary phase converter? Does anyone know where i might find a used one for a good price? What about the static phase converter are they not any good?

Thanks for all the help
    smallplanes

I would only buy/build a rotary converter. Static are junk. We had one and it always seems to get hot. if your going to have a lot of equipment buy a bigger converter to start with. E-bay might have them. We stepped up from a 3hp static to 3hp rotary to 20+hp that we built. Bought a motor off e-bay and all the start and run capacitors also off e-bay. Our 20+ cost us about $300, which is cheap compared to $1,200 to 1,500 when you get that big. I want to say 250 is what we payed for the 3hp rotary. Its all is a matter of skill set, time, and the always deciding factor money.

Hope this helps,
    Nick

What is better a VFD or a rotary phase converter? Does anyone know where i might find a used one for a good price? What about the static phase converter are they not any good?
    The VFD gives you speed control if you need it, down side - one machine only.
    Rotary converter, simple & cheap to build, no speed control but mutiple machines can be run off it, Load hp can be 1.75 x rotary conv hp. with largest motor being no larger than conv. hp.
    Al

Albert E.

Could someone post the instructions on how and what i need to build my own rotary converter? I'm going to get a bridgeport style mill now and later i would like a small lathe. The mill has a 2-3hp motor on it but not sure have not looked at the tag on motor yet. Could someone tell me where to look on ebay for parts and rotary converters? Thanks for all the help guys.

Thanks
    smallplanes

Could someone post the instructions on how and what i need to build my own rotary converter? Could someone tell me where to look on ebay for parts and rotary converters? Thanks for all the help guys.
    Do a search for 3ph converter in these forums, I recently posted the links to all the instructions and supplied some PDF info. You need a selection of caps, rated for AC motor run grade for tuning and a 4pole three phase motor hp rated at least the same size as the one you want to run.
    Al

Albert E.

Thanks for all the help guys but i did not get the machine with the 3 phase motor on it. I went to harbor freight tools and bought a mill/drill machine with a 2hp single phase motor on it. I got it with out the stand so i'm going to have to make one. I ordered a set of rotary phase converter plans off ebay so i might still rig up a phase converter you never know when you might need it. Thanks again for all the help.

Thanks
    smallplanes

This is a question based on getting a single phase motor due to a lack of three phase power in your shop, yes?

I did a bunch of research on this a year ago. I asked motor rewind shops, talked to a guy that added shafts to motors, and looked at doing some kind of an ugly jack shaft rig to fit a common 2hp Baldor onto my J head, and buying a $250.00 VFD. I bought the VFD and I've never been more pleased with something electrically powered in my life. I've only just begun to exploit the VFD's capabilites too.

-jd

Smallplanes, I replaced my 1.5HP 3P motor with a 2HP 3P motor and VFD. It is a SWEET setup. If you can afford it, may I respectfully suggest this is the way to go for a home mill. I'd NEVER go back to step pulleys after using the VFD. I can provide you with a retrofit link for a VFD setup if you'd like.

Good luck!