586,100 active members*
2,684 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Really impressive Randy!

I wonder how well the PortaCable router and mount would do? For what Ive done, mine has worked great. If you want to come borrow it for a week, you are welcome to.

David

Bob and David, thanks for the kind words. The limitation on what I can do with the Tormach is definitely me rather than the machine, but I'm learning as I go! I think it will be a while before I reach its limits. David, thank you for the offer but I will continue developing what I have!

Randy

Okay, stupid question...my friend is asking it.....

He thought that the distance rings were to give an equal length from collet to the tip of the cutter?

Thanks,
    Paul

ViperTX -

Well, your friend is right, but in this case all we're looking for is repeatable placement of each cutter. Since we can use a tool table with Z offsets, each different cutter can have its own tool number and hence its own height.

Once you set all of the tool heights in the table and write your program to use them, you simply replace the cutter, change the tool number in Mach 3 (which can be done in the program), and away you go!

Regards,

- Just Gary

Just Gary is exactly right. I just shove a bit into the distance ring until it is just past the nose taper, to minimize the extension. I'm running out of collars to rob from the old PCB drills I have--I'll need to find a "local" fab shop so I can scrounge some more discards. Or a bag of 100 new ones from LPKF is $19 plus $8+ shipping.

Randy

Multi-tool operation with the Proxxon is pretty routine now. Just like using TTS in miniature. The only change lately is that I made a hoopy new toolrack to go along with my new TTS rack.

I did break a .009" endmill (ex-101) the other day measuring it with my height gage while re-establishing my tooltable. Especially sad because I never broke it while actually milling...

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails littlerack.jpg  

Randy
    Pardon my not knowing, KPKF ?

Thanks! Larry O

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr9900 View Post
    Just Gary is exactly right. I just shove a bit into the distance ring until it is just past the nose taper, to minimize the extension. I'm running out of collars to rob from the old PCB drills I have--I'll need to find a "local" fab shop so I can scrounge some more discards. Or a bag of 100 new ones from LPKF is $19 plus $8+ shipping.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Phishaholic View Post
    Randy
    Pardon my not knowing, KPKF ?

Thanks! Larry O
    See post 12, there is a link to them.

Yes, LPKF is a German company that makes high-end benchtop PCB routers (which they call plotters) and other PCB prototyping equipment. Their stuff is pretty droolworthy but far out of my price range. The distance rings are also called set rings and depth rings by other companies. LPKF is the only place I've found so far that sells the rings on their own (as opposed to already installed on bits).

Randy

I realize I'm reviving an ancient thread but have something new to add.

I've been buying resharpened PCB drill bits from Drill Bit City (no financial connection, just a satisfied customer) because they are solid carbide and have a uniform 0.125" shank. Last week when I went to order, I noticed that they sell distance rings. They're under Tool Accessories as "Stop Rings" and are currently $9.45 plus shipping for a bag of 100, in various colors.

Randy

Page 2 of 2 12