586,082 active members*
3,617 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

The Joke Is On Me!!

I wanted to start this thread as an apology!

It also refers to the thread "DB25Wiring"

I got my C10 break out board yesterday and was noticing how the jumper blocks were set and something "clicked" in the back of my head.

Then it dawned on me!!

I had jumped the jumper blocks for 5 volts on my DB25!

GEZ, what an idiot I am.

Well I'm too embarrassed to say any more so I'll let the pictures do the talking. Needless to say I have 5 volt power to the board now. This is what "NOT" to do!!!!

"Stupidity is the root of all screw ups....and money" (chair)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Factory setup #1.jpg   Factory setup for 10 Volts.jpg   My setup for 5  Volts.jpg  

Don't kick yourself too badly. I don't know of anyone on here that hasn't made a mistake before. I have made many and try to post about them to help others learn not to do that.
    Congrats on resolving the issue. Now on to your next mistake. May it be a long time in coming.
    Lee

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Don't kick yourself too badly. I don't know of anyone on here that hasn't made a mistake before. I have made many and try to post about them to help others learn not to do that.
    Congrats on resolving the issue. Now on to your next mistake. May it be a long time in coming.
    Thanks Lee,

The wife says I'm only allowed one mistake a day, so I'll have to wait for tomorrow for my next one.

Cheers,
    if you have any concers, email to us: [email protected]

The *manufacturer* of the board should not have put the two jumpers so close to allow them to go on wrong...duh. They are asking for a bunch of tech support calls.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisBarclay View Post
    GEZ, what an idiot I am.
    Don't feel bad! I'm so smart that I am capable of making mistakes 100 times faster than anyone else.

CR.

Well it's all coming together. The board works great! Right now I'm tuning the motors to the Sherline milling machine using Mach 3. The Vista CNC pendent works great! Maybe soon I can start building 4' X 5' router table....I hope!

Don't feel bad, I smoked the motor controller AND the C6 board I was trying to add to my system when I missed the bit about it needing an ISOLATED power source. Oops.

Ah ha - let me share my experience -

I have built a machine with the HP UHU drivers - since the design was from a clean sheet from one of the esteemed members here - it had to undergo a lot of testing - I burned away closer to 5 servo controller boards - getting some charred to dust !

but its all a part of the learning at one's own expense - and also is a part of all DIY - we all do mistakes and we learn -

we should be proud of what we learn and progress - I like the way most of us DIY'ers take - that is -ASK QUESTIONS -ALWAYS -

people who are not experienced and choose to do it on their own sometimes end up in real trouble - so folks need to get to know and study hard about a few basics of what ever they do - to save on cash and time.

while selecting a BOB for my router - I studied atleast 4 different BoB's - their datasheets - what each jumper meant on each drive - why it was like that - I asked question to all sellers before buying and most responded - I especially should mention Arturo from cnc4pc - he helped me a lot to undersand his wide range of BoB's - but unfortunately I did not buy his BoB's and selected a different one suiting my purpose.

I did once do a mistake of buying DC motors to be converted into servo's by adding encoders - each motor was rated at 625 watts and rated at 1000rpm@110V 7 amps and for them I ended spending so much the HP UHU, the powersupply cost me like 300USD and the list is endless - and I get reminded every day of these because these run my router now - and due to the low max RPM my router is also comparatively slower.

So at the end every one has done mistakes and its the first step towards learing and gaining more knowledge.

OK I end my rant here -

R/
    Irfan

Quote Originally Posted by CurtisBarclay View Post
    ...The wife says I'm only allowed one mistake a day, so I'll have to wait for tomorrow for my next one.
    Sometimes I think I am working on April 16, 2209.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.