586,121 active members*
3,509 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Welding Brazing Soldering Sealing > thinking of building a tig welder

thinking of building a tig welder

i was going to build a rectifier for the power source if there are any tutorial on that i could use the help
    and i would use this as the control board http://diy-welder.com/linear.shtml
    but it says scratch start is there a way that i wouldn't have to do that like a real welder i thought with dc getting it close enough it would start
    any tips?

You need 'high frequency' to avoid the scratch start. Otherwise, depending on the diameter of the tungsten, put enough amps to it and it will jump a small gap, problem is it's going to tear on your tungsten and probably blow a hole in thin gauge material.

Miller is now saying touch the tungsten, pedal on for 2 seconds, lift the torch. Actually scratching the tungsten #1 scratches your part, #2 contaminates the tungten more than touch, pedal on, lift.

MC

Ive got a wicked idea not very practical but if you had a piece of tungsten next to where you start scratch on it bring the arc over and weld probably unpractical but it could work

Quote Originally Posted by patreusch View Post
    Ive got a wicked idea not very practical but if you had a piece of tungsten next to where you start scratch on it bring the arc over and weld probably unpractical but it could work
    honestly, scratch start isn't that bad... But that is still a practical idea, can't think of a reason it won't work, it would be worth a try!

Get yourself a piece of copper plate to use as a scratch pad, less - to - no contamination. Put it beside your joint and start the arc on it, swing off the copper onto the joint to be welded.

Why would you bother to build a TIG machine when bottom end machines can be bought so inexpensive?
    www.integratedmechanical.ca