586,052 active members*
4,026 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

g47 font spacing ?

I am having a problem with the spacing of a couple of characters having odd spacing when engraving text with g47 . All the letters and numbers come out perfectly but when I engrave R&D on one of my customers parts it comes out as R &D with a full space between the R and & even though no space exist in the text written between the () .

If I change the text in the parenthisis to read (R& D) with a space between the & and D in hopes of at least having eqaul spacing on either side of the & symbol it then engraves the & right up against the R

I have a coule of hundred parts that are being rejected by the customer and I need to know how to rectify before I engrave the other 2k + parts

Can you use 3 different lines of code set the spacing with your X start position?
    G47 P0 X0. Y0. J.5 R.05 Z-.02 F10. E5. (R)
    G47 P0 X.375 Y0 J.5 R.05 Z-.02 F10. E5. (&)
    G47 P0 X.75 Y0 J.5 R.05 Z-.02 F10. E5. (D)

Or (R + 3 spaces + D) and then center the ampersand on them.

now thats a pretty good idea , i will mount a vice at one end of the table past my fixture and experimint with it and see what the x coordinates need to be to get the & centered up .

I am/was hoping there was a simpler fix so I dont have to go thru the trial and error of dialing it in

If you give me your g47 line I can post a mastercam program for it.
    Otherwise doing the xy for each character is the only solution I can think of.

Thanks, I just generated the file in master cam and am headed out to give it a test run

When I'm creating a new engraving program, i always program a M97 P1000 and create a 'N1000' sub at the end and call it just before the g47, before any Z depths.
    The sub will be positions of reference, holes or outside edges/form of the part.
    Then when you run graphics you can get a better representation of what you are going to get.
    Just remove or block delete the M97 line to run the cycle.
    >>>>>>>>>> Made In England <<<<<<<<<<