586,497 active members*
2,726 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Haas on "Made in America" (TV show)?

Haas on "Made in America" (TV show)?

Awhile ago, I read that John Ratzenberger was filming for an upcoming episode of Made in America. It was supposed to feature Haas. That was just about the time of the tax [mumble, mumble, mumble] and then I never heard another word.

Did that show ever happen? Did it air and I just missed it?

For those who have never heard of the show:
    http://search.travelchannel.com/travel/John%20Ratzenberger's%20Made%20In%20America
    Greg

I just checked the 'Press Room' on the Haas website and there is no mention of anything like this. I cannot imagine they would do it without some type of press release.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I knew I read it somewhere official. It was in their own magazine:

From page 44
    http://www.haascnc.com/CNCMag/PDF/v11i39.pdf

“Made in America” Visits Haas By Richard Berry
    Haas Automation will be featured in an upcoming episode of The Travel Channel’s original series Made in America – hosted by everyone’s favorite mailman from Cheers, John Ratzenberger. As the name suggests, the show spotlights American manufacturers.

“If you want to know America, you’ve got to meet the folks who work in factories and workshops,” said Ratzenberger. He did just that July 24th – meeting Haas workers, touring the factory, and discussing company history with Gene Haas. The all-day video shoot will become part of a Made in America episode that will air later this year.

“I grew up around manufacturing,” remarked Ratzenberger, during a break in taping. “I was raised with the notion that Americans were inventors and problem solvers. My favorite shows are the ones that tell us how the machines that build the machines are made.” After looking around, he added:

“Companies like Haas are critical to civilization.”
    Greg

“If you want to know America, you’ve got to meet the folks who work in factories and workshops,” said Ratzenberger. He did just that July 24th – meeting Haas workers, touring the factory, and discussing company history with Gene Haas.

What July 24th? certainly not last year and not this year unless he is very magical. How long is your memory? This has to refer to something on 2007 or earlier and my guess is 2007 shortly before Gene got his involuntary holiday which could explain why it never aired.

That was from Fall 2007. I was really looking forward to the show. I figured that the court [mumble, mumble, mumble] had something to do with the delay. I was figuring that the show would finally air after [mumble, mumble, mumble] was finished.
    Greg

Actually I do remember reading something about this, but it was quite some time ago. It may have been in one of the HAAS Magazines, MMS, or American Machinist.

It most likely got dumped for the reasons Geof stated.

LOL, I still think it was a free advertisement for HAAS Automation. Gene got tons of free press.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Gene gets all the advertising he needs whenever they rerun an episode of American Chopper.

I've poked around the web and it looks like that show never happened. I hope they release it someday. Ratzenberger is really a champion for American industry. This is a good watch if you haven't seen it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PvlUmxOYI8"]YouTube - John Ratzenberger: Make it in America[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOlxquxYUPI"]YouTube - Made in America part 1[/ame]
    Greg

In the current economic climate you think any show is going to feature an American company with a multi-millionare owner who is a convicted felon for tax evasion and fraud (I think)? No, much better to let it fade away.

:drowning: :stickpoke(nuts)(chair)

This was recorded almost three years ago. I do not know what happened to it. If it does air, you might see a segment with John R. and myself in frot of a VF-5. The segment that was really interesting was the one with Gene and John discussing Haas history.

Go to a "Tea Party", Impliment the Fair Tax, Free Gene!

Quote Originally Posted by Haas_Apps View Post
    I do not know what happened to it.
    That stinks I would have liked to see it and maybe America would wake-up.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

After doing some research the series was canceled by TLC.

China must own that too.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I was there when they were filming the show. It was my first visit to the factory. I remember John standing outside his motor home and they were taping. He was dressed in a shirt an tie, then his pants were shorts. They must have been only filming from the waist up.

Wow, that sucks on multiple levels. I guess there were enough episodes that I've been watching reruns and didn't even realize it.

I really was looking forward to seeing the show. The two times that I got tours around the factory were mind blowing. The fact that Haas pulls that off, in America, in southern California no less, is just amazing.
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey Hotey View Post
    Wow, that sucks on multiple levels. I guess there were enough episodes that I've been watching reruns and didn't even realize it.

I really was looking forward to seeing the show. The two times that I got tours around the factory were mind blowing. The fact that Haas pulls that off, in America, in southern California no less, is just amazing.
    Exactly. Here we are face with declining manufacturing capabilities. We all heard of the typical excuses of high wage, tax, regulation and whatever the reasons. Yet, Haas out competes foreign manufacturers and domestic companies with foreign manufacturing facility and did it in a state not known for its business friendly attitude. A few years ago when I went on the factory tour what impressed me beside all the hardwares were the operators wiping down the machines between cycles. They really care and their attitude is reflected on the factory floor.

It's really too bad the show got canceled, who know how many American youngsters it could have inspired.