586,590 active members*
2,179 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > After top-end over-haul, loud operation at high RPM

After top-end over-haul, loud operation at high RPM

Is this as would be expected? This was my first over-haul... new belts, bearings, grease....

Operation up to 1800 RPM is purdy darn quiet. Starting at 2000 RPM the top end begins to generate a bit of noise, on up to 4000 RPM it's very loud (louder than prior-to the overhaul). While I had belt-squeel and bad-bearing rattles before, the sound is of rotation (low-pitch whirling).

There is almost no vibration, so I suspect the sound to be from the veri-belt and pulleys.

The most common issue with A vari drive (2J)head are the bushings in the vari-drive discs wearing out. Did you change those?

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The bushings (plastic) were in great shape with a snug fit and still moved when pushed. I've heard of people lubing with lithium, but didn't wanna take a chance of the grease getting on the pullies.
    I lightly polished the motor shaft and veri-speed spindle pully hub to remove any burnish or discoloration with steelwool then wiped down with alcohol. I had the bushing kits but didn't feel any appreciable wear, so skipped that for now.
    Thanks George =)
    Additionally, after ramping through about 10 cycles from slowest to fastest, it's quieted down some, and seems to be about normal now at 4,000rpm (though, still a bit louder than anticipated.) Since I won't be running a 1/16" endmill often, I don't have a real reason to max out the RPM's, so it should be fine at 2k.

Do you have any pics from when it was apart?
    Supermax YCM-40 Mill, Mach3, G320's, RogersMachine, PMDX-122 ---- Slowly coming up to speed... (that's me, not the machine)