586,290 active members*
4,058 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller & Computer Solutions > Proper use of Charge Pump on CNC4PC breakout board?

Proper use of Charge Pump on CNC4PC breakout board?

I have a CNC4PC breakout board that includes a charge pump. I thought that I understood how the Charge Pump circuit was intended to be used, but evidently I don't.

I thought that the charge pump was used to prevent any axis drive motors from receiving an un-intended signal from the breakout board that might occur as the system booted. I hooked up the system so that the Charge Pump is driving the Enable input. I now understand that this will not work because the Enable input has to receive 5 volts before the charge pump will operate - I'm trying to pick myself up by my bootstraps . . .

I've done a lot of searching here and in other places to find a schematic or description of the normal operation of the charge pump circuit, but have not found an answer. Can you guys explain to me how the charge pump is intended to be used?

Thanks,
    Scott Kelley

Hi Scott Kelley

I have the cnc4pc c23 and I figured you use output pin17 to directly enable your drives and the EN was for a Manual Switch or E-Stop circuit

Carl