586,728 active members*
2,522 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Excello Software Upload on IBH machine

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am working on an IBH machine with an Excello controller. I am interested in uploading and downloading data to and from the controller.

Do any of you know the correct steps to perform these operations?

The controller has a old version of windows and has capabilities of a DOS prompt, but it also has a User Interface that allows the choice of upload location.

I am working on a wireless networking device called the WiBox made by Lantronix that enables me to send programs to the machine via the LAN. I already have a Visual Basic program that opens a connection to the machine and sends the data. I have this working on all of my other machines.

What I need is the proper steps necessary on the Excello controller to accept these programs.

If anyone has any information on this matter, please post the response here as well as email me at [email protected].

Thank you very much for your assistance.

I did not know that Excello made a controller, I always though they used 3rd party CNC control on their machines.
    Looking at the WiBox product, It appears that it collects packets of wireless sent info and feeds into the RS232 port?
    Would you not just need some kind of RS232 modem package, either DOS or Windows to recieve the data?
    If the control software does not download through a serial port, could you not run a modem/DNC package under Windows or DOS, of which there are many out there, free or shareware.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Please excuse my ignorance. I am a software developer that is trying to solve the age old problem of communication with these machines. If Excello doesn't make a controller then these are IBH-CNC macro 50/80/8000 machines. The first page of this manual has Excello on it and I assumed that it was the controller.
    Either way, this book doesn't explain in detail the exact set of keys and entries that must be made to upload programs from the serial port. It does give some information, but it isn't in any consistant order.
    Since I am new to this type of machine, I am searching for someone that can walk me through the steps. Once there, I will be able to program the rest, I hope.

Excello Upload via WiBox (Serial Port)

I've figured it out!! It was all in the cabling and settings. :idea:

If you wish to set up an Excello Macro8000 for download/upload, you need to make the following settings on the controller.
    1. Data
    a. Device selection
    b. Click twice on a blank function key
    i. Type in a unique name e.g. WBX96E18
    ii. Select AUX
    iii. Select (in this case 9600 baud rate)
    iv. Select Even parity
    v. Select 1 Stop Bits
    vi. Select 8 Data Bits
    c. Click OK
    Note: Excello controllers are set up for CTS/RTS (Hardware) at the factory. You can use just the RXD/TXD, but it is recommended that you use the hardware configuration

WiBox settings (Channel 1):
    1. Serial Settings
    a. Protocol = RS232
    b. Baud Rate 9600
    c. Data Bits 8
    d. Parity Even
    e. Stop Bits 1
    f. Flow Control (CTS/RTS)
    2. Pack Control
    a. Enable Packing
    b. Idle Gap Time 12 msec
    c. No, No, None
    3. Flush Mode
    a. Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes
    4. Connection Settings
    a. Protocol TCP
    b. Passive Connect Yes
    c. Active Connect With any character
    5. WLAN
    a. Network Interface WLAN
    b. SSID Your Access point
    c. Security WEP
    d. Authentication Shared
    e. Encryption 128 bits
    f. Encryption Key You network administrators assigned key
    6. Apply settings and the WiBox is set up and ready to go.
    Note: To initially set up a WiBox, please refer to the WiBox PDF that is located on their site www.lantronix.com

Cabling requirements. Excello documentation says that there are quite a few jumpers that are needed plus the necessary connections. I have found that there are only a couple of critical ones. They are listed below.
    1. From the CNC to the 24V Converter 25 pin to 25 pin
    a. 4 - 4 RTS
    b. 6 - 6 TXD
    c. 10 - 10 CTS
    d. 12 - 12 19.3 VDC supply
    e. 13 - 13 Ground
    f. 22 - 22 RXD

2. From the 24V Converter 25 pin to 9 pin (WiBox)
    a. 6 - 1 DSR to DTR
    b. 3 - 2 RXD to TXD
    c. 2 - 3 TXD to RXD
    d. 20 - 4 DTR to DSR
    e. 7 - 5 Ground
    f. 4 - 7 RTS to CTS
    g. 5 - 8 CTS to RTS

With no other settings, I can open a WinSock connection via a VB program and send data and receive data from the Excello CNC machines. This enables our company to change programs without the need of an engineer on site or the scheduling of production changes. We are also able to reduce the requirement for needed memory, which is a tremendous savings. We are also able to house the programs on the network and make them available to the operators for download at any time. Since they are coming from the network, we are guaranteed that they are the latest release available.

If anyone needs help on this in the future, I can be reached at [email protected].

We are also using the WiBox for Fanuc, Mori Seiki, and Hardinge SPs; though their settings are quite easy and they are much more user friendly then the Excello.