586,075 active members*
3,967 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fullscreen on start up?

Title pretty much sums it all up. I remember reading something on how to make Emc2 display full screen when you start the program but I cannot remember where and how to do. I know Google very well but the bastard failed me big time, I searched for over a few hours and nothing. So if anyone could point me in the right direction or tell me how, I would be very appreciative. Thanks

Hi Regnar,

I use devilspie to get emc2 to full screen.

http://burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie

If you need more than that let me know and I'll copy my configuration for you. It was a while ago that I set it up but I'm sure it was easy.

Regards,

Jayson.
    Quick... catch all the smoke so I can stuff it back in.

I'll check when I get home late tonight and see what the directive was from the users mailing list, but I think devilspie sounds familiar. If it was something different I'll let you know.
    Every day is a learning process, whether you remember yesterday or not is the hard part.
    www.distinctperspectives.com

Thanks guys, I will have to read up on devils pie. I just learned how make emc automatically run on power up, which save some time. Now if I didnt have to click the maximize button each time would make it a dream.

For some reasom I thought I just had to change the display size, or write something like Fullscreen = 1 or Yes. Maybe I was just imagining thigs again.

Don't you just love information overload

Quote Originally Posted by Regnar View Post
    ... Now if I didnt have to click the maximize button each time would make it a dream.
    So true, it IS a bit annoying the way it is now.

Well I am not going to lie, Im not all that great with computers and this has taken up a good chunk of time. I have to find out how to install tar files to get devilespie installed. I was able to get gdevilspie installed on my HTPC but the few tries at some of the rules did not work out for me. I used the deb. file for install so I dont know if that had anything to do with it.

I really figured for a shop/business standpoint that as soon as the power button was pushed emc would start and the operator would not get side tracked. I run boxee on the HTPC on start up and it makes it nice not having to do a few clicks to get where I want it. It also makes it extremely easy for my wife, if I want to do other things with the pc I exit it. This would probably be 100 times easier if i had internet in the shop but I dont. I think I will unmount the pc and bring it into the house and try installing again, if it doesnt work out fo me I will continue clicking maximize until it bugs someone else who can do something about it. For the cost and what you get I have no room to complain Im just trying to make it better for myself

Regnar,

Can you give me a link to documentation on how to make emc run at start-up, I have been unable to find anything.

Dave

Dave this is about the easiest thing I have done so far.

For this I am going to use my mill as an example because the computer is up and running right now. This is the way I did it, there is probably and easier way but.......well I dont know it

First thing I did was I went to the Emc Config Selector Window. This is the window that you would get if you just select emc2 from the drop down applications. In this window I selected my machine and clicked the little box in the bottom left hand corner that makes a short cut to the desktop.

Once the short cut is on the desktop I right clicked it and went to properties. There should be a tab that says Launcher. You will want to Ctrl + C (copy) this. It should look something like this " /usr/bin/emc/home/cnc/emc/configs/x2/x2.ini

Now goto System-Preferences-Sessions-Startup

Click ADD and you will want to paste Ctrl-P the Laucher that you copied earlier in the start up command box. Save.

Shutdown and Restart to see if it works for you. I also have security shutoff so I do not have to login every time either. Usually when I am done installing my first tool everything is set to go. I just have to maximize the window first to see what I am doing.

Ok, so after reading the manual on how to install tar files I pretty much ended up right back to ground zero. I was able to get right up to configure and then I received a error saying I did have a compatible c compiler. A little bit of Internet browsing said I require a gcc file. Well it comes packaged a tar.gz just like devilspie and lo and behold it gives the same message as before. I have officially declared war and will win at all cost!

The most common way to get a c compiler in Ubuntu is installing the package "build-essential". The catch-22 is build-essential downloads more needed packages using the network.
    The good news: According to this thread the install cd contains all the necessary packages.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1083081
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Well I lost again. Took the pc out of the shop and into the house to connect to the Internet and did have any luck. It doesnt see the connection either usb or Ethernet. Couple hors later and a lot of reading = no internet, no big screen. Will try the cd install but im not going to hold my breath because I dont have a cd drive and I install emc thru a usb stick.

I'd sure prefer a maximized window without needing to install some other program.

Did you ever have any luck with this fullscreen bug, Regnar?