586,119 active members*
3,420 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

"E-stop activated" alarm

Good Morning to all. I have a 1995 EZ-Path Lathe with an alarm. I move the "Z" axis ball screw 1/2" towards home by hand and hit escape, the alarm goes away. The machine homes out great and when I move the "Z" axis 3/4 of the way towards the chuck I get the alarm back. I have found a few broken wires in the wire track (on the back side of Z zxis) and spliced them back together. Now the alarm will not go away at all. I know I have to change the cables, but right now is not a good time. I have also checked the home limit swithes. They were moving slow from coolant buildup at first, but I have resolved that issue. I am wondering what all will cause this alarm. I know low lube oil will, but what are all the others that may cause this. The "e-stop button and contacts are working properly with an ohm meter and I don't see anyting else wrong. Anybody have a list of things to check for? Any help is greatly appreciated.:drowning:
    Thanks, Joe B.
    Just a good ol' boy, never meanin' no harm.
    Joe

There is a plug at the back of the switch box on the carraige that becomes corroded. Check that as well.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Machinetek,
    Thanks for the post. I checked this as you said and everything pans out. I currently have my Maintenance guy checking for more broken wires in the wire guide. Any other suggestions??

Thanks, Joe B.
    Joe

Check at the AUF board if the 24 VDC is coming back from the Emergency stop switches. If yes, you may have a bad AUF board. Not that uncommon.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Machintek,
    I PM'd you.
    Joe

Problem found!!!

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    Check at the AUF board if the 24 VDC is coming back from the Emergency stop switches. If yes, you may have a bad AUF board. Not that uncommon.

George
    Hey George,
    I had checked the voltage numerous times at the JP2 connector. It was definitly an intermitant problem. Anyhow, I jumpered wires #91 and #92 to bypass the E-Stop circuit (until I can afford to replace the cables). Thanks for your help. I greatly appreciate it. :wave:
    Joe