586,119 active members*
3,420 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > A fine Harbor Freight packing job!!!

A fine Harbor Freight packing job!!!

I ordered a replacement motor for my 9x20 lathe and here's what I got

I could of ordered from Grizzly but opted to save $68 and get it from HF, now I got to ship it back and wait for another replacement. What bonehead could have packed that? The mounts broke, the cover and studs are broke.

there is huge force required to make that kind of damage.
    during shipping it just has been dropped from a certoun height.
    happened to me twice now. deffinitly ruins your week.

Ah, some spackle and paint will fix that :rainfronuts)

Seriously though, sorry to see that happen but not really surprised. Can you not swap all the new parts out of the new one and into your old housing ? That is providing there's not more damage like the shaft being bent, ETC.

At least it would save you money on shipping and save time, I would think.

Good luck !

Eh. It's free custom work.
    -Blane Nelson
    www.tacticalpyrotechnics.com

My 9x20 motor quit and I ordered another one also. While waiting I took the old one to a nearby electric motor rebuild shop. They called me the next day to advise I could pick up the motor; loose wire, fixed, $20.00. You may want to look into fixing your old motor as a spare.

Supplier was at fault judging by the photo. Something that heavy should have either been strapped to a board in the box, or had foam blocks around it in the box.

Yeah the motor (3/4)is actually larger than the old one(1/2) and I might take the old one in and have it repaired. I already contacted HF customer care and they are sending me a RMA label to ship it back to them.

I'm with "diecutter", something that heavy should be on a small pallet of wood.

I was looking at the photo, looks like that box has been recycled about 20 times

Free DXF - vectorink.com

Come on, they put a bag in the box too, what more do you want?

Looks like a disgruntled employee. Probably got laid off and didn't care any more. I have a hard time believing that anyone would be that stupid.

I've seen similar from a factory in Italy. They were closing the plant down, and the last few product shipments had all kinds of heavy scrap iron and stuff mixed in, presumably to drive up the cost of shipment and further screw the company. This was an electronics factory, nothing more than a few ounces had any business being in those boxes.

speaking as one who designs packaging for a living, that's one of the all time lamest packing jobs I've ever seen.

Not even a scoop of penuts or crumpled up newspapers....

That's shocking, even by HF standards.

why not buy a good motor and make a mount for it? or better yet do the dc motor conversion. i added a 3HP 3 phase motor to my 9x20 and it was unstoppable. i also got rid of the lame thin belt that always breaks at the same time.

yeah just that lil bit of plastic and they did throw in some junk mail advertisements.

I thought about converting it to variable speed but the spare motor I have is huge and I just didn't feel like engineering anything.