586,105 active members*
3,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Lets get started; new mill

Ok guys; here we go; first off; lay out the parts to see just what/why/how it will all fit together

The basis for the X axis is a length of 8" x 2 3/4" X 42" extruded Aluminum grade 6061 T651

I just hold the linear rails with C clamps to see the possiblities first
    The rails are 1 meter and are pulls; not in bad shape at all; when I got them one truck was screwed up; I got 2 more but then I got a deal from the original seller for 2 more 25" rails with 4 trucks; but 1 25" was toast; so i got a 8" out of that one; the other 25" is behind and has 4 trucks for now (just to keep them safe) this will be for the Y axis
    The length of 3" Aluminum angle is also heavy wall like the channel
    This will be cut in half and will attach one to each side onto the trucks; this will support the main table; the 2 trucks are spaced right for the travels; the ball screw and nut is brand new; NSK 16mm 20mm pitch 21 1/8" travel; so we get 21" of X travel; from were the nut is now; I will get 12" left and 9" right
    The other 2 rails are New THK 25RSR with 14" of travel; these will be for the Y axis along with the SR25V with 2 trucks

close up of that beautiful Ball screw

The other 2 ball screws; one is again brand new NSK 16mm 20mm pitch but with 13 3/8 travel; this will be the Z axis motivator; the other is a pull; but feels good; no BLash that I can feel
    It's a THK unit 15mm ball pitch 4.25mm travel per rev (yeah weird size)
    This will be for the Y axis untill I get a new one

The big steppers; Nema 34; 450 oz/in hold; will be controled by Compumotor S6 drives; the X axis will be reduced by at least 3-1 with timing belts; the same goes for the servo pictured; but if I use the servos; I'll likely go to 6-1 reduction; these puppies have a 6000rpm top speed; they have 110oz/in in normal use; but a peak of 330oz/in @ 5Amp

Ok the plans thus far
    The channel will need to be screwed down to a heavy base; from this will rise the 2 gantry supports; these are 6" x 3" x 24 long Heavy Alum I beams
    The Gantry itself will be another section of the heavy Channel; the 2 RSR linears will be mounted on the face; the SR25V will be mounted below or on top of the channel; the head carrier will be bolted to all the rails; the SR25V will spread the loads that will come from the side cuts (Y travel) the RSR rails will carry the X axis cutting loads
    I have 2 other rails not pictured here; they are SR20 with 4 SR25W trucks 18 1/2" long; these will be for the Z axis; but I just might add side rails too as I have a couple of RSR15VW 25" long laying around
    I have a complete set of ER25 collets and a set of Nikken SK10 collets; one or the other will be used in a spindle of some type

Ok enough for one night; I'll maybe get the rails mounted in the next couple of days if the workload is not too much; I'll post the setup of them for getting them to run true; and hopefully grab a base for the whole thing

Looks like a very good start. Keep up the posts.

George

I will; just need some time
    I am working 12-16hrs right now and on top the wife just said we can re-paint the kids palyroom; LOL
    WHEN

Ok things are about to happen
    I have been commissioned to build a machine (not much in the way of details yet) for one of my old workplaces; they have 2 cnc lathes and 2 Hass CNC verticals
    I can make my own parts again; so i'm hoping this project will be underway soon

Working at home has been fun; but stiffles my abilities to build machines for home use; just can't have both i guess

Ok after a long rest; here we go again

Sorry about the wait; but work; work; and more work kinda got in the way

Here is a rough assembly of the main framing

The channel for the Y is just c clamped for now; but drilling will not take long
    The vertical supports are screwed to the main base; the front foot is not made yet; the main X channel is all drilled (ty wraps to stop the blocks falling off) for the THK slides as is the Y; the Y will have the blocks as shown (2 top 3 bottom)
    Main bottom plate is 3/4 10" wide 24" long (just to give some idea of scale)

Travels will be X 21" Y 14" and Z 9" (maybe 9.5")