586,700 active members*
2,863 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: system units

system units

can anyone tellme how to set the units to inches , every time i input a dimension always comes up as mm.thank you for your help

G20 will put you in inch mode
    G21 will put you in metric mode on most machines.

He's asking how to do it in Solidworks.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Units come from the document properties of the template you use to create a new part etc. If you don't have a template with the units you want just change them under tools>options>document properties and then save that otherwise blank file as a part template.

Open a new file. Change units to inch thru the options dialogue. In the system options, go to default templates, and turn on the radio button to prompt user to select document template. Save the file as a new template type file and call it a new name, inch template or whatever. Then close the file. Next time you create a new file the dialogue screen will show the various templates to choose from.

Set in a new sheet and save

You can change this by going to TOOLS.... OPTIONS.... DOCUMENT PROPERTIES..... UNITS

Also when using SolidWorks If you are working on a sketch in lets say inches you can put in mm units in to the inch units and it will auto convert. It works as a function so if i wanted to put 24 mm in to a inch sketch dimension I would put 24mm in the modify box hit ok and will will auto convert it to in and will display it as such. However If you already have a dimetnion in the box and you need modify the existing dimetino in the modify box you will need to add Brackets around the mm dimention for instance if i had 20in in the modify box and I wanted to sub tract 10mm all you need to do is put in the modify box 20in-(10mm) and hit ok. It will automaticly convert the 10mm in and then subtract it from the 20. This is only for converting units however and if you need to change the document do what thrasher said just thaught I share a important quick trick

If you are always working in inches you have to change your part and drawing templates --- upom first entering SolidWorks select File, then Open and then change the Files of Type to display your Template directory.

Select Part and then follow the TOOLS, OPTIONS instructions as given in the previous post exit and save the modified part template. You will have to do the same for Drawing. This will always give you the inch options, of coures you can turn on dual dimensions if you need to see metric at the same time.

PLCamp