586,103 active members*
3,557 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Yaskawa SGDA parallel port to RS-422

Yaskawa SGDA parallel port to RS-422

Hi.. I've been searching and searching the yaskawa sight for a pdf on how to wire up a PC parallel port to drive the RS-422 port on the drive. I thaught I had it on my computer but may have deleted it by accident. Thanks in advance. Gerry

I have called Yaskawa a few times and they are super helpfull, but they never replied to email

Noel

Quote Originally Posted by seiz0r View Post
    Hi.. I've been searching and searching the yaskawa sight for a pdf on how to wire up a PC parallel port to drive the RS-422 port on the drive. I thaught I had it on my computer but may have deleted it by accident. Thanks in advance. Gerry
    Which particular model? I've used two: the speed/torque model and the position model and neither can be driven by the RS-422 port directly. You can wire up the serial port to configure them. This is in most downloadable manuals eg - TSE-S800-15, http://www.yaskawa.com/site/dmservo.nsf/link2/MNEN-5CLKGN/$file/TSE-S800-15C.pdf (if the link works), section 5.6.17. You'll still need to download the configuration software SVMON (available as a download off the Yaskawa site).

Otherwise, you'll need a PP breakout board to drive a step/direction model (SGDA-???P), or a step/direction to analogue converter, like a pixie, for the speed/torque models (SGDA-???S)

Printer Port & RS422 Port

The two are not compatible without some sort of electronics between them to convert (not advised!). One is a parallel port, the other is a serial port.......
    Surely a plug-in RS422 port will not break the bank?
    I have no idea what sort of PC or Laptop you have....but an inline RS232 to RS422/RS485, bidirectional converter Costs around $30 on ebay.....some PCI cards were going 2nd hand for $1.....

Thanks for the reply guys. I have a yaskawa SGDA-04AS, I'm going to use the pico-systems DAC16 and a DIO board to control the servopack, unless someone has a better option i'm open to suggestions. I have a sony viao laptop but am going to have to get bidirectional converter.

You need to use the SERIAL port. Somewhere buried in the back of the servo pak manual is a wiring diagram for the interconnect cable. I did this a number of years ago, and it did work.
    Yaskawa has their legacy manuals well hidden, look for the word "archive" in a lower-level menu,
    and you can download PDF versions of all their old manuals.

Jon

Converting from an RS232 com port to an RS 422 needs electronics, either selfmade or bought. The two interfaces are electrically different.

The RS232 sends its signals at 12 volts relative to ground and the 422 sends them balanced over two wires for greater distances....

You can buy plug in cards for PCs and Laptops....

You can read about the 422 interface here if you wish.....:-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-422

The Yaskawa servopaks have a 9 pin communications port that has pins for both RS232 and RS422. I'm not sure about the RS422, but the RS232 is non-standard and you will need to wire up your own cable. The port can then be used to configure the device (using sigwinlite). It can't run the device.

Quote Originally Posted by der_fisherman View Post
    Converting from an RS232 com port to an RS 422 needs electronics, either selfmade or bought. The two interfaces are electrically different.

The RS232 sends its signals at 12 volts relative to ground and the 422 sends them balanced over two wires for greater distances....

You can buy plug in cards for PCs and Laptops....

You can read about the 422 interface here if you wish.....:-
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-422

RS232 was/is the standard that has been on all PCs and laptops upto very recently....USB has taken over some of its functions nowadays.....I do not understand what you meant when you said it was not standard.......
    As I mentioned earlier, if you want RS422, the easy way is to buy a card and stick it in your PC or Laptop.....
    Theoretically, you could also buy a converter from a Printer port to RS422, but I personally have never seen or searched for one....
    If you need help finding a suitable card or schematic, should I research further for you?
    Let me know what interfaces you have and which one you would prefer to use.
    Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by der_fisherman View Post
    I do not understand what you meant when you said it was not standard.......
    Sorry if I confused things. I meant the connector on the Yaskawa servopaks are not a standard 9 pin serial connector. You can't just plug a 9 pin serial rs-232 cable into it and expect it to work. This is the pin out...

Code:
    1 TXD
    2 *TXD
    3 RXD
    4 *RXD
    5 OPH
    6 *RXD
    7 RT
    8 5VPP
    9 GND
    The manual says to use RS232, wire it up like this...

Code:
    ServoPak     PC
    *TXD    -    *RXD
    *RXD    -    *TXD
    GND     -    GND
              +- RTS
              +- CTS

OK, but this does not (at least to me) explain what you need/looking for. I will help all I can, but be so kind as to accurately detail your needs and wishes.
    Here is a short tutorial that illustrates that 232 and 422 are incompatible, electrically speaking....
    http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/RS-422.html
    Here is a good discussion with access to schematics if you want to make your own 232 to 422 converter:-
    http://www.lammertbies.nl/comm/info/RS-422.html

Quote Originally Posted by ftkalcevic View Post
    Sorry if I confused things. I meant the connector on the Yaskawa servopaks are not a standard 9 pin serial connector. You can't just plug a 9 pin serial rs-232 cable into it and expect it to work. This is the pin out...

Code:
    1 TXD
    2 *TXD
    3 RXD
    4 *RXD
    5 OPH
    6 *RXD
    7 RT
    8 5VPP
    9 GND
    The manual says to use RS232, wire it up like this...

Code:
    ServoPak     PC
    *TXD    -    *RXD
    *RXD    -    *TXD
    GND     -    GND
              +- RTS
              +- CTS
    Hi Guys.

I know it's been a while that this thread was used but I need to know the pin outs on the computer side to wire up the serial port to configure the Drives.
    The manual shows the pin outs for the Servo Drive but NOT the computer. This makes it very hard to follow to wire it up.
    I have the SGDE-01AP Drives with matching motors.
    Any help would be great.
    Rich.

Edit.
    I just found the specs for the PC pin-outs which are .....

1 Data Carrier Detect
    2 Receive Data
    3 Transmit Data
    4 Data Terminal Ready
    5 Signal Ground
    6 Data Set Ready
    7 Request To Send
    8 Clear To Send
    9 Ring Indicator.
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.