586,103 active members*
3,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Sodick A300 help

I have owned this machine for two months. When it threads then goes to locate the hole it does not detect the touch and runs off until it breaks the wire. I tested the voltage at the heads in the tank and it drops from 1.5 as the tank fills, sometimes to zero. It did work some if you let it charge up until reaching the 1.5 volts but if it got under .3 it would run off and break the wire. It has gotten worse and won't work at all now. Sodick wants $500 to "register" my machine with them. I woud like to fix it myself it is some little thing I can check or change.

EDM Systems of NC sold this machine to my company and it has ben a POS since it was set up.

Thanks in advance for any help. Everything I make has to be finishd on this machine and I am having to sub out the work to an EDM shop to stay in production.

Shoes

Check everthing. Ground cables, power cables, Ceramic plates,Power feeders. When the wire is running do you get a contact light. If not it sounds like the ground cables.I think Mits gets $1500 bucks before they will lift a finger. Hope this will help.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Check everthing. Ground cables, power cables, Ceramic plates,Power feeders. When the wire is running do you get a contact light. If not it sounds like the ground cables.I think Mits gets $1500 bucks before they will lift a finger. Hope this will help.

We did all of that just now, some wires were not tight inside the control. It still is doing the same error. A good EDM tec called and said it could be a program error. If the software lost some of the hole locate program it may do this. We are reloading the programs now.

I am begining to hate old equipment and edm machines in general. My Haas VF2 has never misses one second of work except when 2 endmills broke over the last 1900 peices.

Thanks for the reply.

tacticalmachining.com

so why not let edm systems look at the machine if you are having issues? It could be something as simple as one of the switching power supplys going bad.

I had a similar problem on my Sodick Mark XI control and found it to be a bad contactor. The coil was bad and it quit working. I replace it with one here on the shelf and all was well. It was labeled PIKA (not to be confused with the PIKKAO) it should be pulled in when doing the center and edge find programs.

If you ar looking for a new company to service you. I would recommend you try
    McWilliams Sales and Service
    119 Bevan Drive
    Mooresville, NC 28115
    Telephone - 704-598-6616
    Fax - 704-598-6789

They also have an office in Detroit metro area.

They know Sodicks especially older ones, used to be exclusive US rep for them. I have no connection with them other than a satisfied customer of consumables and parts to keep my Sodick running.

Quote Originally Posted by sodickappsguy View Post
    so why not let edm systems look at the machine if you are having issues? It could be something as simple as one of the switching power supplys going bad.
    EDM Systems showed up this week end and fixed it. Two wires that go into the tank were bad and several parameters needed changing. Their tech Bob did a great job.