586,119 active members*
3,603 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

LCD Monitors-too cold/hot?

Hi all,

Are there standards for LCD screen monitors? In other words, if someone has a shop in a garage, and it can get to freezing at nights in the winter or very hot (95 degrees) in the summer, will this damage LCD screens?

I would think there's a limit that they can take but these get shipped all over the country and are subjected to extreme temperatures and still work correctly when received by customers.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks as always for your time-
    Dave
    Dave->..

I have also wondered about that and you made me get off my duff and do some googling:})

Here is a table that I lifted from http://americas.kyocera.com/kicc/lcd...pconsider.html and seems to be pretty representative of several sites I visited.

Typical Temperature Specs
    LCD Family Item Celsius Fahrenheit
    Standard STN Operating Range 0 to 50/60 32 to 122/140
    Standard STN Storage Range -20 to 60 -4 to 140
    Standard TFT Operating Range -10 to 70 14 to 158
    Standard TFT Storage Range -20/-30 to 80 -4/-22 to 140
    Wide Temp STN Operating Range -20 to 70 -4 to 158
    Wide Temp STN Storage Range -25 to 75 -13 to 167

There are additional effects listed due to temperature, but I think you get the idea.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Excellent info, my friend, I appreciate the time you took for that and is pretty promising as my shop (converted garage) is allowed to get cold or heat up (depending on the season) overnight when I'm not in there as I don't keep it "environmentally controlled", but I do preheat/precool the shop before I go in and work so it should actually give a chance to acclimate (spelling?) to the temperature. I do this slowly because I realize how temperature rises and drops can be damaging so I may just give it a shot.

I'm interested in getting a different monitor and a higher resolution and an LCD would be really nice to have but I was definitely worried about the temperature situations.

Thanks again,
    Dave
    Dave->..

There should be a Spec sheet for the Operating Temp for all LCD Monitors.
    Here are the specs on my Dell 24" Monitor. I will also mention that it gets pretty hot on the top panel. I called Dell about this and they said that as long as it doesn't get too hot to the touch this is normal.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-6272
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Thanks, Toby, yes, I've been looking more and more at the environmental specs lately and it's interesting to see all the differences.

Yours for instance would not be a good choice for me as it can only go down to 32 degrees F.

I wonder how many people have monitors in storage in a cold region, for one reason or another, and will be surprised at the result when fired up.

Thanks for the help-
    Dave
    Dave->..

Quote Originally Posted by tobyaxis View Post
    .... Dell 24" Monitor. I will also mention that it gets pretty hot on the top panel. I called Dell about this and they said that as long as it doesn't get too hot to the touch this is normal.
    That does NOT sound normal! My Dell 22 inch is only barely warm on top--94 degrees F--even after hours of use in a 70 degree room.

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by Crevice Reamer View Post
    That does NOT sound normal! My Dell 22 inch is only barely warm on top--94 degrees F--even after hours of use in a 70 degree room.

CR.
    As long as it isn't melting it should be fine. Besides, it has the full warranty.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

When these get certified for CAD/CAM I'll be purchasing ASAP!!!

DELL

:banana:
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com