586,357 active members*
3,327 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Hobbycnc (Products) > HobbyCNC 3 axis controller board review
Page 1 of 2 12

HobbyCNC 3 axis controller board review

I have a HobbyCNC 3 axis board on the way that I plan on doing a build thread in this thread. I'll post pics as I'm building and finally how it works. So stay tuned. Mind you I'm not a electronics guru, I know how to solder and follow directions, so this will be a good opportunity for those nervous to try out assembling electronics. This new board is lated for my new laser design. For more info check out http://hobbycnc.com , tell him cnczone sent you.

I received this kit http://www.hobbycnc.com/cncpackages/...g/4aupcpkg.htm today.

Included with our 3 or 4 axis chopper driver board KIT (4AUPC) are the required components to operate 3 or 4 steppers rated at up to 3A at up to 43VDC. Included in the package is a cooling fan and guard, DB25 Parallel Port Cable, stepper motor cable, hookup wire, fuse holders and fuses, filter capacitor, switch, 35A 600V bridge diode, heat shrink tubing for the motor/cable splices, grommets, labels, ALL hardware, instructions, wiring diagram, and full size template drawings to help eliminate layout errors! Case and 10A transformer are not included. All other components and hardware is included. Only a computer, software, soldering iron, solder, case, transformer, and tape are not.

Everything was very well packed in their own bags. I looked briefly through the manual and found that to be very well written and with very good wiring and hook-up diagrams.
    I will upload some pictures tonight and hopfully will start the soldering. Stay tuned...

I bought, built and am using that board. Very nice... Works exactly as it should. This is the 4th Controller I've used and I'm more than happy with everything about it, including customer support.
    Nathan

Here is a picture of what I got-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 110_1077.jpg  

1/2 hour later and here is the board-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1078[1].jpg  

Assembly Photo

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin
    1/2 hour later and here is the board-
    Paul,
    Looking at the picture I see a few things that concern me. Capacitors C5 and C6 are not installed while C4 is. Step # 6 states to install C1, 2, 3, 5, and 6.
    Secondly, TB4 is installed on the 4th axis...you have the 3 axis version. Did you install it there in error? TB5 should be installed by now...(Is it in TB4 position?)
    Thirdly, RN5 should be installed by now...You didn't install it in RN4 location did you?

Dave Rigotti
    Hobbycnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by hobbycnc
    Paul,
    Looking at the picture I see a few things that concern me. Capacitors C5 and C6 are not installed while C4 is. Step # 6 states to install C1, 2, 3, 5, and 6.
    Secondly, TB4 is installed on the 4th axis...you have the 3 axis version. Did you install it there in error? TB5 should be installed by now...(Is it in TB4 position?)
    Thirdly, RN5 should be installed by now...You didn't install it in RN4 location did you?

Dave Rigotti
    Hobbycnc.com
    Well I did do this at 11:00 pm and I was tired, so yes your right, I have a few parts miss placed oops, I would have figured that out today, we I go to test the voltage. Thanks for pointing it out, I have a friend who is a electrical engineer, he will have a look at it before I put any juice to it and he will be able to test the board and put it through it paces.

BTW to all of you newbies to solder your own electronic this is a great lesson, I'm not new to soldering circuit boards, I have done quite a few, double check your work, than check and check again. It's SO easy to make mistakes, even if your supper careful, recheck before you add power, if not the end result will be smoke and maybe fire but mostly smoke. AND RTD (Read The Directions)

Talking Late night soldering....

I made a similar placement error on the same board. Though I took four times as long, and I realized my mistake in placement before soldering down the component. I went through the instructions several times before beginning, inventoried the components, and placed them in order relative to assembly order, this took more time, but made it completely painless.
    This was my first board of any size. With a little care and some patience it went very well, tested out right the first time. Dave was quick to respond to any questions I had. I couldn't be more pleased with the kit! Thanks, Dave!!

HobbyCNC Board

I also bought the 3-axis board. I've been very happy with it and had no issues building it as the instructions were very good. I do regret not buying the 4-axis board and have asked Dave about a kit for upgrading. He said it would be a while before he would have time to look at putting one together. I also wish I had known he was going to offer 200 oz/in. motors as I would had rather bought them instead of the 80 oz/in. I'll eventually build another machine and will probably go with the HobbyCNC again as I've had very good luck with it.

Darren

Quote Originally Posted by dwwright
    I also bought the 3-axis board. I've been very happy with it and had no issues building it as the instructions were very good. I do regret not buying the 4-axis board and have asked Dave about a kit for upgrading. He said it would be a while before he would have time to look at putting one together. I also wish I had known he was going to offer 200 oz/in. motors as I would had rather bought them instead of the 80 oz/in. I'll eventually build another machine and will probably go with the HobbyCNC again as I've had very good luck with it.

Darren
    Darren,
    What can I say...Our policy is to never pre-announce any new products. "gives the competition a unnecessary head start!"

Dave Rigotti

Guys I apologize if this si the wrong thread for this type of question, but in trying to decide where you put your money it's prudent to ask. If need be, I'll remove this post, but here goes:

What is the difference in the HobbyCNC product versus the xylotex product? Is it a question of speed, efficiency, robustness, ease of use? What features should one be weighing when they decide on a driver board? I was thinking of making my own CNC router, but the more I read, the more I think that a converted mill would be a better choice for me (like the Taig). However, I'm the kind that analyzes everything so ...

Thanks in advance,
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay C
    Guys I apologize if this si the wrong thread for this type of question, but in trying to decide where you put your money it's prudent to ask. If need be, I'll remove this post, but here goes:

What is the difference in the HobbyCNC product versus the xylotex product? Is it a question of speed, efficiency, robustness, ease of use? What features should one be weighing when they decide on a driver board? I was thinking of making my own CNC router, but the more I read, the more I think that a converted mill would be a better choice for me (like the Taig). However, I'm the kind that analyzes everything so ...

Thanks in advance,
    Jay
    Brand X uses the same driver chip we have used since April. Same speed, etc, although you'll solder almost 100 more pads with Jeff's version.

Dave Rigotti

Quote Originally Posted by hobbycnc
    Darren,
    What can I say...Our policy is to never pre-announce any new products. "gives the competition a unnecessary head start!"

Dave Rigotti
    Dave,

I'm cool with your policy. Please let me know when you've come up with some pricing for the 4th axis upgrade kit.

Darren

I seriously didn't see the kit on xylotex's site before I was more curious why his 3-axis board was recommended so often? Is it faster than the unipolar kit you (and he) now offer? It looks like he is using the Allegro 3977 on the XS-3525/8S-4 (the DMOS bipolar microstepping driver 2A @ 35V) versus the 7062 (unipolar microstepping driver 3A @ 44V). At face value, it would seem the unipolar 1/16th stepping is better as it's a more sinusoidal ... can you help point out any advantages/disadvantages I might be missing.

Oh, and I actually prefer a kit, and a one stop shop.

Thanks for your indulgence,
    Jay

Bipolar stepper motors by nature are stronger than unipolar. Up to 40% in the same frame size.

Phil
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Paul any progress on your kit? also, what power supply are you opting for?

Yes, I just have to test it before, I install the main IC. I bought the 24v power supply that hobbycnc.com recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by pminmo
    Bipolar stepper motors by nature are stronger than unipolar. Up to 40% in the same frame size.

Phil
    Ya know that is a misleading statement! For example... I have a 4 wire double stack #23 stepper rated at 125oz. I also have a 5 wire double stack #23 stepper rated at 125oz. Both the same size, both have the same rating?

Dave Rigotti.

It wasn't intended to be misleading. True statment not all Frame size 23's have the same rating, they differ widely. But, for the same physical dimensions and construction, bipolar has more potential for power. If you take the same motor, that can be run 6 wire unipolar and 4 wire bipolar utilizing the same power supply the bipolar arrangement will be stronger.

Phil
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

Page 1 of 2 12