586,061 active members*
4,453 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

making a machine

Where do I start? I want to make a machine that cuts tires. Here are some pictures of what other people have one

please help on where I start and ideas

-garrett
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cutter.jpg   cutter2.jpg   cutter3.jpg  

Well you need a shaft to spin the tire and a head mounted on maybe to 1" dia rods, that will allow the head to move left to right. Than another pair of rods to allow the cutting bit to move in and out of the work. It's really not a complicated machine. I would first start with the mounting shaft for the tire, and draw a frame to support that. If you can give some specific info in size and tire and what type of motor you want to use to spin it this will help get this started.

I did this in less than a min, but it gives you a idea-
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clipboard01.jpg  

I see what you mean. When I get a change I will take measurements. Should I use the same motor as he uses on his? Also. How could I include a micrometer on the feed on this machine kind of like a lathe would have on the cross feed

oh and another thing the machine follows this templates of the contour of the tire. That is how you get the correct in feed everytime. Kind of like a manual cnc machine

You can make this thing CNC driven and control it via software.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin
    You can make this thing CNC driven and control it via software.

really wow that would be awesome. I would like to keep the cost of the total machine below 2500-3000 though. maybe a little more if it is cnc.

but the way the machine works is it has templates that create the same cut every time. You change the templates when you have a different size tire in the machine. I could easily machine the bolt pattern that goes onto the rim and I was thinking of having threads on the I.D.. and just having a fixture that screws in the I.D. threads inside of putting on the lug nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by pyroracing85
    really wow that would be awesome. I would like to keep the cost of the total machine below 2500-3000 though. maybe a little more if it is cnc.

but the way the machine works is it has templates that create the same cut every time. You change the templates when you have a different size tire in the machine. I could easily machine the bolt pattern that goes onto the rim and I was thinking of having threads on the I.D.. and just having a fixture that screws in the I.D. threads inside of putting on the lug nuts.
    UH? 2500.00 wow, how big is this machine? It should cost under 500.00 complete with everything.

UH? 2500.00 wow, how big is this machine? It should cost under 500.00 complete with everything.

no way seriously? cause the guy I know sells this machine for 4700 5200 with some options he has. So you think he is profitting at least 4200 a machine

WOW what a rip off

Well not really when you consider the cost of machining, for the do it yourself is almost always 1/3 the price.

Well not really when you consider the cost of machining, for the do it yourself is almost always 1/3 the price.
    I know what you mean. You would have to calcuate the time it takes for machining and the welding of some areas and the assembly.

but on the machine. Should I start to machine the chuck (if that is what you wnat to call it). The part that goes into the wheel and hooks on the bolt pattern

so where should I start?

Before you get started are you just cutting the contour or also the thread. Are the threads cut with a hot device and then you want to contour the tire or ????

what threads? THey are slicks. I just wnat to true the tire up and cut about .050" amout of rummer off. On the other machine there is templates to go by

First start with the foundation being the basic frame that will support this spinning tire.

First start with the foundation being the basic frame that will support this spinning tire.

oh you say work from bottom to top.Why not make the machine first then make a stand? I was thinking about making the device that holds the tire. I was thinking having the bolt pattern and just have the rim sit on the bolts then have a fixture that goes into the I.D. threads and tightens it up. Instead of having to tighten each individual nut. I could start out and do that since I have access to a manual lathe and don't have access to a welder

here is a good front view
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails prodlathexx.jpg  

Okay, got it. So what about using a V shaped cone with a course thread (1 turn per 2 inches) and use that to center the wheel. Think of something like a bench center or a lathe...one end is driven, the other end centers and applies pressure to the rim. A screw with a cutter that follows a profile (pattern) as the cutter moves lengthwise. I'm assuming that you'll need a rather stout cutter....probably a stainless (440) that can be sharpened.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperTX
    Okay, got it. So what about using a V shaped cone with a course thread (1 turn per 2 inches) and use that to center the wheel. Think of something like a bench center or a lathe...one end is driven, the other end centers and applies pressure to the rim. A screw with a cutter that follows a profile (pattern) as the cutter moves lengthwise. I'm assuming that you'll need a rather stout cutter....probably a stainless (440) that can be sharpened.

I don't follow what you are saying. The cutter he uses is some type of circle cutter. Tool steel woudlnt work as a cutter?

But a v shaped cone? Got any pictures of something close to what you are talking about

Tool steel will work as a cutter. Have you seen the tire changing tools when they remove the tires, there's a cone that screws down to hold the rim on the tire changing stand. It just makes it easy to center rims that may have different diameters in the center hole of the rim. I believe the Cart wheels are similar in design....I don't know if they all have a center hole of the same diameter.

Page 1 of 2 12