586,116 active members*
3,416 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > GMF Fanuc L-100 Robot R-F controller

GMF Fanuc L-100 Robot R-F controller

Ok I bought a GMF Fanuc 5 axis L-100 Robot off e-bay this week for $500. Now I gotta figure out how to controll it. I guess It has a tech pendant with it. So I could go about it that way. I was looking at useing CNCtoolkit or some other g-code creator to create the tool path for doing 3d full 5 axis carving.
    I can't find any info about the R-F controller that it has. Can it be dnc controlled? If so how. DNC lite has a free version but I don't know if it will work. What kinda post proccessor would i use for a R-F controller. I have seen Fanuc0, Fanuc 16t etc. But no R-F posts. Worst case I will retrofit it to Mach2 but I would like to avoid that if I can.
    Help...

Donny

Comon someone must know something. I go get it from the loading doc tommorow. Al the Man your the Fanuc Guru here. Whats your opinion.
    Help.

Donny
    www.whiterivermfg.com

Thumbs up

Robots are not generally programmed by G code but taught by the teach unit. As far as moves are concerned there are typically 2 types similar to G0 & G1.
    The first type is all axis would move to position in the fastest way to get to the program end point and the second all axis move at a controlled rate in order for them to arrive at the programed end point simultaneously.
    Does the unit come with controller? You should be able to get the documention from Fanuc but it is not cheap.
    As far as retro-fitting is concerned, you would run in to a problem right away of not being able to use the proprietary motors & drives that Fanuc has, although I think Delta-Tau system will interface to them, but its not cheap.
    I have experience with a few makes of robots, but unfortunately very little to none with the Fanuc type.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I got it today yeah. It comes with a teach pendant.
    I have one Manual. Karl Operations Manual. Thats the prog language. It has some info on how to power up power down and using the teach pendant.
    The front has a rs232 port but no floppy. Has monitor and keyboard.I
    I found a set of manuals for $150. I guess that will be my next purchace.
    I am hopeing to creat a 5axis tool path in cnc toolkit and send it over to the controller via dnc i guess.
    You statedAs far as retro-fitting is concerned, you would run in to a problem right away of not being able to use the proprietary motors & drives that Fanuc has, although I think Delta-Tau system will interface to them, but its not cheap.)
    Thats scarry. I take it the big servos and drives are not compatable with output from say mach2 or EMC type programs? Worst case if i cant get it to do what i need thu teach or dnc.

Donny

Unhappy

I unloaded the 4000lb chunck of iron yesterday. Looks like its all 3 phase. Need a 27kw rotary phase conveter now to run it. Even the servos on it are 3 phase. And huge. Wonder about sticking some nema 42 dc steppers in place of the ac servos. What about a dc servos and gecko 320s. What to look for. How to size them so they are same torque etc?

Donny

www.whiterivermfg.com

Quote Originally Posted by whiteriver
    Looks like its all 3 phase. Need a 27kw rotary phase conveter now to run it.
    Wow, 36HP rotary converter
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.