586,069 active members*
3,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Mastercam vs Unigraphics

Mastercam vs Unigraphics

I would like to have your opinions on Mastercam vs Unigraphics.

My shop is having me look into learning unigraphics for manufacturing. I would like to get some input from you guys if I could.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Nobody has anything to say
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hey Jimmy!!

I have heard that UG has Superior CAD, GUI, and Functionality over MC.

Sorry, I was very busy today, just got home.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

What kind of work do you do? High end 3D maybe, but If you already own Mastercam I wouldn't waste my money. Yes they have excellent modeling capabilities. They'll talk about the the associative integration of Cad & Cam. But the truth is there are still many times where you'll still have to re-chain/re-select the geometry in en existing toolpath.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Smile Opinions

Truth in what Mike says & I think JP sums it up pretty well in the emastercam forum. Trying to learn NX5 at work for close to 12 months now & still don't have a solid handle on it. Use Mastercam at my part time day job, & was tool-pathing in a couple of week's & simple 3D & 4 axis stuff in 6 month's. Only work with mill & wire. my2c
    Harold C.

Unigraphic is very expensive, but much better software. More learning curve.

Mastercam easier find programmer for it, cheaper and can get job done just like every other Cad/Cam.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Mastercam vs Unigraphics

In my opinion Mastercam is faster,better, easier than Unigraphics for CAM. For CAD I prefer Solidworks. My company was using Unigraphics but laid off most of the Engineers. Other equipment we buy from other companies was done on Solidworks which I learned and prefer now.
    ........Mastercam is better for 1 part or at least very few parts in an assembly. After all when fabricating you usually make parts one at a time. Solidworks and Unigraphics are better for larger assemblies with more parts. Also programs like Solidworks can show bent or rolled sheetmetal and also what the piece would look like before bending and rolling. So I prefer Solidworks or Unigraphics for CAD and Mastercam for using the CAD model (part) for doing CAM.

Model

Has Mastercam improved it's model associativity in X3 or do you still have to reload model and start over?

Quote Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
    Has Mastercam improved it's model associativity in X3 or do you still have to reload model and start over?
    You may have to do some reading on the Emastercam Forum.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

I think master cam is suitable for small plant and this software is cheap.
    Unigraphics is better software for engineer. But for me I like master cam most.(group)

I asked the same question in emastercam. I work in a mold shop. I do full 3d work. With today's market everything has to done as fast as possible, with mastercam I can get the job done pretty fast. Nx looks to be very slow to get the job done. There is to many dialog boxes to go to just for the simplest thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JIMMY View Post
    I asked the same question in emastercam. I work in a mold shop. I do full 3d work. With today's market everything has to done as fast as possible, with mastercam I can get the job done pretty fast. Nx looks to be very slow to get the job done. There is to many dialog boxes to go to just for the simplest thing.
    Jimmy,

Have you looked at SW 2009?? They are doing some pretty wild things these days.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

We have UG Catia and Mastercam, Drawings and Engineering Assemblies UG is the software I use.
    Mastercam completly blows UG and catia out of the water with cam for speed and ability to learn.
    The learning curve is big with both UG and catia check out your options on training
    Steve Arteman
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

Mastercam is my favorite CAM software

mastercam vs ug

Jimmy

your talking about two different animals. In all respects cad and cam ug is so much better there is no comparison, it also costs 10 times as much so it should be.

I trained on UNIGRAPHICS and Mastercam, and give you honest opinion.
    Unigraphics is highly sophisticated software and is fully integrated cad/cam, it has a very high learning curve, it originally belonged to Macdonald Douglass before they were taken over by Boeing!
    It can do extremely difficult tasks and its CAD is exceptional!
    Remember that UNIGRAPHICS is a PARAMETRIC software!
    Mastercam, no where comes close to it, its cad is antiquated one, it is like comparing note pad with word processor!
    It depends on what you do, and how much you like to spend on the software! It is horses for courses!
    I personally hated both of them, if I had the choice would go for SOLIDCAM with SOLIDWORKS combined.
    You can get lot of books on MASTERCAM, there is nothing in English on UNIGRAPHICS CAM, the books available are in German, I used the German book to teach from, and from Thailand as well! For English you have to use the help, and that is pretty lousy! Ironically, the Germans ended up buying it, as they had the best teaching books and materials for it!