586,119 active members*
3,518 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCad V23 is a VALUE!

View Poll Results: Can BobCad Cad/Cam?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I am Competent and can get the job done.

32 59.26%
  • Yes, and the other users can help when I need it.

12 22.22%
  • No. I'm incompetent and blame others for my shortcommings.

10 18.52%
Page 4 of 4 234
    No it wont. BobCads 4th axis will do indexing and wrapping, but not "true 4th" simutanious moves. Yet.

BobCad Cam / BobArt and 2.5D

Have v23 mill and Art.

Is there an easy way to set up 2.5D or to learn how?
    95% of my work wil be 2.5D and I need to get going
    on some contracts I have.

Most any ideas / thoughts / help accepted!

I will have to Gcode each tool as I don't have
    an ATC on this machine. Small table top CNC
    router is my learning tool. New shop and new
    CNC with 10 station ATC in Feb 2011 !!

Thanks All...

Hey Peg... What do you mean specifically 2.5 d setup.. Do you mean relief work with BobArt??

Let's start a new thread and discuss it.. You dont need an auto toolchanger.. Should be able to get the code you need without editing..

Burrman,
    Don't know how to start a new thread, but that's OK with me!

I make signs with raised letters and/or graphics on them. I used a bunch of other software demos and ended up with Bobcan-cam and BobArt which I think it may have been a mistake but that's what I have and I have to make it work. I have (for now) a small CNC Shark Pro, single tool (no ATC) router with a 24"x24" table. I have been able to use the machine in the 2D format but not in the raised graphic with textures (I was told that it's called 2.5D).
    I will be starting out with a hand drawn graphic then will scan it in and convert it to what ever file type needed.

I'm not a beginner in computers or woodworking, just neve used a CNC router or Cad/Cam software.

If you have any other questions for me I will do my best to post answers ASAP!

Hey Peg... I and some others can start to talk to you about getting it going ok.. BobArt work well and with some tips on getting going in the right direction, you can get good results.

The way you start a new thread, is when your in this area of the forum:

BobCad-Cam - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

At the top of the list, there is a button that reads "new thread"

Also, for signs and things, "VCarve" is a great toolpath to get familiar with..

Do you have a particular point your stuck with regarding getting started? Is it just a "where to start" question?

Once we know a particular, there may be some existing threads that we can point to, or discuss it more here....I personally dont think you made a mistake, but opinions vary

Later.

Here's a link to a simplistic video made for someone who had asked about just the simple process of using BobArt...It's a start.. We can go from there...

BobArt quick image

Burmann,

I want to thank you for this post. I haven't worked with Bobart yet and following your video, I just created and cam-ed my Company logo in just a few seconds. i tried to do this in alibre and Vcarve, and didn't really get the process, but this was easy watching it done.

Thanks

Your welcome..

Maybe I could put together another short one with some voice, where i talk alittle about some of the settings that I am aware of, that may help with a method to get going on it a little more..

BurrMan, You've done some really great things with BobART. Any other cool projects?

CNCdude

Hi Dude,
    Nothing off hand with BobArt yet.. I do have some plans going that my brother is interested in.. I've been working out creating STL's from DEM files of our island areas.. The pun was "details"..

My brother does alot of work with fishing stuff and I have been trying to convince him to use some "art" type stuff in his work.. Using the Various islands and fishing areas would be great, though I need to get the DEM detail worked out to cut on "3 inch" reel sideplates and such..

So like this is a shot of the area I grew up:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kokhead_close.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	141219

But I have a bit of work to do (Mostley have to upgrade my computer).. The detail at this level is something like 20 million polys.. I cant get the conversion made without more RAM.. Sigh. But SOON..

I gave him a little camera that allows him to shoot his machine working.. He has started to put some stuff up for his friends to see... Here is a link to some cuts he is doing.

TheRocksonrocks1's Channel - YouTube

Page 4 of 4 234