586,096 active members*
3,632 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Latest N135 spindle speed

Latest N135 spindle speed

6000 rpm. Has anyone actually tried to run the mill at this rpm? What kind of advantaged will this give me with HSS/Carbide mills on different materials?

Quote Originally Posted by zaebis View Post
    6000 rpm. Has anyone actually tried to run the mill at this rpm? What kind of advantaged will this give me with HSS/Carbide mills on different materials?
    i dont have that mill, but i have the nm070 with a 5k rpm spindle. the main advantage is with 1/4" or smaller tools especially in aluminium. with larger tools in steels its not usually going to be of much advantage although there are some techniques to cut steel at higher rpm with carbide that sends of glowing chips. ive done this with a fly cutter and it seems like it might work rather well even on these little machines. need to do more testing though.

I cut some 1018 today on my nm135 @ 400sfm (4100 rpm) with an .375 indexable four flute tool.
    .100 DOC, .188 WOC and some full slotting.
    Cut nice !
    My spindle seems to top out around 5700 rpm.

SPINDLE NOISE

When cranked to the full 6000rpm, my NM135 r2.1 spindle seems to make an inordinate racket (including a "knocking" noise of sorts): I measured it at 85dBA@1m. Is there anyone out there who can take a measurement on their machine for comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by Frogblender View Post
    When cranked to the full 6000rpm, my NM135 r2.1 spindle seems to make an inordinate racket (including a "knocking" noise of sorts): I measured it at 85dBA@1m. Is there anyone out there who can take a measurement on their machine for comparison?
    is this with a particular tool or empty?

it could be a balance issue, or a bearing issue. my spindle (nm070) at 5krpm makes a fair bit of noise, but still not above speaking volume. it kinda almost sounds "dry" like it was low on grease. need to check it at some point. last time i was at novakon and they ran the nm135 (rev1) at 3500rpm it was near silent.

with a fly cutter at 5krpm mine makes a horrible noise because its not balanced and vibrates alot.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    is this with a particular tool or empty?

it could be a balance issue, or a bearing issue. my spindle (nm070) at 5krpm makes a fair bit of noise, but still not above speaking volume. it kinda almost sounds "dry" like it was low on grease. need to check it at some point. last time i was at novakon and they ran the nm135 (rev1) at 3500rpm it was near silent.

with a fly cutter at 5krpm mine makes a horrible noise because its not balanced and vibrates alot.
    It is with no arbor in (I haven't put the arbor in yet - another story). But now that you mention unbalancing, perhaps the arbor, which is off-balance due to the keyway, is needed to balance the spindle out. I'll retest once it is in.

It is with no arbor in (I haven't put the arbor in yet - another story). But now that you mention unbalancing, perhaps the arbor, which is off-balance due to the keyway, is needed to balance the spindle out. I'll retest once it is in.
    with nothing in it, the drawbar might be rattling around. id try it with a tool in it. did the machine come with a drill chuck or anything useful?

with nothing in it, the drawbar might be rattling around. id try it with a tool in it. did the machine come with a drill chuck or anything useful?
    I found the drawbar, rattling around up there. The thread on the drawbar does not match the thread on the arbor The package came with a chuck, but I also ordered the "quick change" collet kit (still out of stock, so I don't have it yet).

I found the drawbar, rattling around up there. The thread on the drawbar does not match the thread on the arbor The package came with a chuck, but I also ordered the "quick change" collet kit (still out of stock, so I don't have it yet).
    the drawbar is likely metric. you might have a non metric chuck. i think novakon should look into replacing the drawbars with standard ones, just because its near impossible to find metric tools in north america.

its odd that the chuck doesnt match the drawbar, might want to email and ask whats up with that.

Hi All,

As it turns out, the arbor we received from the factory was metric and the drawbar is imperial.

We have ordered imperial arbors and will be sending them out to all customers once they arrive.

Frogblender, please let me know if the arbor I dropped off yesterday worked out.

This issue is likely not to affect all customers, most already had existing collet holders etc...

Please contact me directly if you need a replacement urgently.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Khai
    Novakon Systems

the drawbar is likely metric. you might have a non metric chuck. i think novakon should look into replacing the drawbars with standard ones, just because its near impossible to find metric tools in north america.

its odd that the chuck doesnt match the drawbar, might want to email and ask whats up with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Novakon View Post
    Hi All,

Frogblender, please let me know if the arbor I dropped off yesterday worked out.
    Aye, 'tis working like a charm!

Excellent!, let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Khai
    Novakon Systems

Aye, 'tis working like a charm!